Cape Town, South Africa

I haven't had any problems with my Orpingtons in the heat that I haven't had with the rest of my flock. They all cope the same - wings out, beaks open, drinking lots of water and staying in the shade. My coop is made out of insulated cold room panels so I think that helps!

Light Sussex are the white ones with the black around the neck, black tails and sometimes wing tips. You also get Buff Sussex, Red Sussex and Speckled Sussex - the Speckled has the same type of colour pattern as a Boschveld chicken, Mahogany brown with white and black speckles. I have my first 9 Light Sussex eggs in the incubator now and planning to have some more eggs sent from Johannesburg as well. I'm also thinking about bringing in Leghorn eggs from Johannesburg.

The breeder I'm going to order the eggs from has show quality Australorps, Leghorns, Boschveld, Rhode Island Red, Rhode Island white, Koekoek, Light Sussex, Buff Orpingtons. I don't know if I've listed all of them, but you should let me know if you are interested in some of those eggs that I can order with my order - can even hatch them for you if you don't have an incubator. The eggs priced between R7.50 and R30 each depending on breed - see prices here: http://www.chicken.wozaonline.co.za/ As I said I can hatch for you, won't charge you anything to hatch them - as you know there is just always the risk of some eggs not hatching. The breeder also charges R100 to package 12 eggs, and postage, but we can always share those costs. Let me know what you think?

Edited to say: On the website I listed, there is a chicken pricelist link to see the prices of the eggs.

Last edited:
Hi Boeremeisie
I would love to order some light sussex and may be we can share the cost of an order. We are also thinking of getting a small incubator -looking at prices and different models. Let me know when you are going to place an order then we can make a plan to get them from you. Talk soon

Great,

I am currently looking to see how these Light Sussex that I currently have in the incubator are going to develop. I should also mention that Altro Pets at 81 Voortrekker road in Parow also sell Light Sussex chicks at R30 per chick. That's where I got the eggs from as well. The reason I will be bringing them in from Johannesburg as well would be to have 2 different lines to work from. Altro Pets also have Koekoek. I am going to Worcester show tomorrow to see which chickens are being shown there at the Cape Poultry club show.

I find incubators ridiculously expensive. I built my own out of a Styrofoam container I got from the Pet shop. (They throw them out after the fish they sell arrived in it) I ordered an STC1000 digital thermostat from bidorbuy for R400-and-something rand and hooked it up to two 40 watt lightbulbs with a PC fan distributing the warm air around the incubator. All together it cost me around R500 to make and I can fit 30 eggs at a time in there...

Anyhow, I'm rambling. That's why I started a chat thread... I chat.. a LOT! I wish more Capetonians will join in - but they should in time!

Esti

Hi
smile.png

I just replied in the SA thread as well. My hatch is not going so well. One is still moving - I candled the eggs last night. It's due to hatch on Monday. Welcome to BYC and this thread as well!

Thanks
smile.png
Well I suppose if that one chick hatches then I'm one chick closer to my goal... I will be stalking chicken shows as well this year looking for some Light Sussex. At the Worcester show there was only one Rooster shown, and I didn't make it in time to catch the owner (I was there on the Saturday and I think the main judging was done on the Thursday already)

Yay!
celebrate.gif

I will be looking out for that one... Worcester is a bit far from me, but so worth it! I think later this year there will be a Malmesbury show as well... Which is much closer to me (hubby will be relieved lol)

Two of my eggs hatched! I was sure only one of the three I had left in there was alive, but it turns out there were two healthy live chicks - they hatched yesterday and are in the brooder today
celebrate.gif

This is "Bekkie" who had to sit in the egg while the last bit of his yolk sac finished absorbing. Named Bekkie, since his beak was all I could see while he was hatching the WHOLE of yesterday!

Here's to hoping that there's at least one pullet between the two
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom