Capturing wild ducklings

melissamerry

Songster
7 Years
Aug 17, 2012
Goleta, California
My daddy phoned me this morning telling me that there is a mama mallard and two little ducklings in his work's construction yard. The worst part is, there's about 50 mph winds too. He thinks the ducklings are a few days old. Someone already caught the ducklings but they are trying to catch mama. They think the other ducklings blew away from the wind already.

I really don't know what to tell him. I'm three hours away. I suggested a cat food trail to lead her to safety.....

Any ideas about how to help this mama?

I certainly hope you know how illegal that is. As for winds, they won't blow away....right now there are probably over a million mallard ducklings and most will see 50+ mph winds...always have, and always will...

Clint

It is illegal in some states to have mallards. I had them in Iowa but it is very illegal in Wyoming where I am now. And as for the wind, we routinely have 50 mph winds here, some gusts over 80 mph and the wild mallards do just fine. If California is like Wyoming, you could call Fish and Game for assistance. (If they are like Wyoming, they'll tell you leave the ducks alone! Nature takes care of them.)

He doesn't want to keep them, he just wants them out of the construction yard before they get run over by something. He says the mom will take a few steps forward and then the wind will blow her ducklings all over the place.

He doesn't want to keep them, he just wants them out of the construction yard before they get run over by something. He says the mom will take a few steps forward and then the wind will blow her ducklings all over the place.
Best thing to do is put the ducklings inside something where she can hear them, then once you get mama back with ducklings take them to safety, people all the time help wild ducks/etc when in need then let them go back to the wild. It's not like they are taking them home just out of harms way, good grief.

Last edited:
I agree with Miss Lydia, bring her ducklings and she will follow them. You don't want to wait too long or she will abandon the area. And, yes, ducklings can get blown away in the wind, but usually not permanently. I remember a video of a mom with 11 ducklings getting blown around in the wind. Mom managed to keep up.

Also, it's not illegal to rescue ducklings or any other wildlife from a dangerous situation such as yours. People rescue and relocate mothers and babies all the time. It's only illegal if you keep them longer than it would take to get them to a rescue center.

If you can't catch mama, then take the ducklings to a rescue center that accepts wild animals. Don't release them on their own.

Last edited:
It will be very difficult to catch the momma. I suggest putting the babies in something that will keep them safe but will allow momma to get to them. Then call Fish and Wildlife. I'm a wildlife rehabber and I acquired 14 after they fell into a storm drain. Got them out but momma flew away because of all the commotion. I found her not too far away, put the carrier on the ground so she could see and her them which she did, but she was no longer frantically trying to get to them. needless to say, they are now in the hands of a capable rehabber.

Mama is still around. My dad put the babies in a tote in a bush. Mama is laying with them for now.

They have the bush kind of blocked off from all the movement of big trucks. He says he'll herd them towards the canal once the trucks are done in that area. Everyone there really doesn't want to crush them by accident.

proud moment: while I was on the phone with him I heard someone in the background say they have bread to give them, and before I could interject my dad said "no, bread is bad. We should find some peas."

Back
Top Bottom