Car vs Rooster!!! Can he be saved???

hugs.gif
I don't know what to do about his leg/foot, but I think you're getting lots of good advice here. Bless you for taking care of him. He's gorgeous, and he knows you're trying to help.

Poor little guy. And hugs to you for trying so hard to help this little creature
hugs.gif
. I can tell you are doing your very best.

I'm not sure what to tell you for the swollen feet. But I wanted to mention one thing about his appetite. A couple drops of liquid B vitamin complex right in their mouths can sometimes perk a bird up and stimulate their appetite if he's still not eating much. Another thing you can try, is whole wheat bread, soaked in milk, and bananas are really good for them too, for extra energy and vitamins.

I hope that leg starts looking better. I think I'd give him some antibiotics for sure.

I have been watching this thread and saying my prayers for you and Lucky.

I was thinking.......If we broke a bone, there would be swelling right? Maybe this is normal??? Just a thought.

Thank you again everyone for your help!
sorry for the delay, my internet is being quite wonky
sad.png

I don't doubt for a second he's got a nasty case of scaly leg mites, but the great news is the swelling has gone down some since rewrapping his splint!
ya.gif

I still need some suggestions as to what antibiotics might be beneficial, if anyone could please direct me there, I can run to town tomorrow and get him started on that
smile.png

As always I appreciate all of your help and kind words
love.gif

I have pics of his feet after, but they're on the computer and I'm posting from my phone this time...

Last edited:
I too have been following this thread and your Ol' Roo truly is a lucky guy. I think the swelling IS related to the wrap and the fact that a chicken can not elevate the foot like we could. My SIL recently broke his leg and the Ortho Surgeon would not cast his leg for 2 weeks as it can cause a very serious condition (compartment syndrome). I realize chickens are not human and that you must stabilize the leg for it to properly heal but I would try to use 2 splints (padded between leg and splint) and secure them above and below the break, firmly but not tightly. I am new to chickens but he seems to be very sweet which to me means he has at some point in his complicated life been loved and cared for. Keep up the wonderful care, the kindness and compassion you have shown to him inspires us all.

Back
Top Bottom