Carbon monoxide ...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by unionwirewoman, Jan 5, 2008.

  1. unionwirewoman

    unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

    788
    8
    151
    Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Hey all ! Was just wondering if anyone has had any incidences with carbon monoxide poisoning . Last night I came home and opened the door and a huge cloud of smoke came pouring out . the CO detector was going nuts so I ran downstairs and found out the wood stove was pouring out smoke . Before I got into the electrical trade I went to college and got my assc. degree in heating and airconditioning and was in that feild for 5 yrs so I know how bad carbon monoxide can be . Our house was at 800 ppm and I had to leave all the doors and windows open for 3 hours (it was only 25 degrees outside) . Just wanted to remind people how dangerous this gas can be ![​IMG]
     
  2. nccountrygirl

    nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm glad you were not asleep when this happened.
     
  3. Itsme

    Itsme Chillin' With My Peeps

    123
    1
    121
    Aug 5, 2007
    NW Wisconsin
    Actually, I have two very sad stories about carbon monoxide poisoning.

    My grandmother.....age 80..... very active still driving, going to card parties,church,luncheons, came home form a busy day visiting and such..talked to my uncle at 4pm telling him what fun she had and that she had stopped and filled up with gas on the way home. She was found dead the next morning in the living room in her chair the car still running in the attached garage.....It was almost out of gas by then.........she forgot to shut the stupid car off..........[​IMG] [​IMG] , This was four years ago.

    A dear friend of mine spent the week end moving into their new home that they had just spent the last 5months building.... Her teen age son had his bedroom in the basement. The rest of the family, two children and mom and dad were in the second story,(not the main floor...one story up). They were all sick on Monday and did not go to work or school...again on tuesday still sick...headaches,can't think, sleeping...just sick...alot of sleeping. Wednesday very early the husband somehow got enough clear oxygen in his brain to think a little and found the teen age son dead down stairs and got everyone else out....they had to scoot down the steps on their butts cuz they couldn't maneuver all that well. The teen had probably been dead since Monday....[​IMG] [​IMG] there were several issues with the furnance installation.This was a year ago early December.......The law suits are still not settled.

    Carbon monoxide kills..ya can't smell it, ya can't taste it............Please, if you do not have detectors get them [​IMG]
     
  4. unionwirewoman

    unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

    788
    8
    151
    Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Such sad stories !! Detectors are a must ! Just remember most of them are only good for about 5 yrs ! Having your furnace checked and cleaned by a pro is important too , especially if the furnace is 10 yrs or older ! So sorry about your grandma !
    [​IMG]
     
  5. Farmer Kitty

    Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

    Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My SIL's DH's brother had a carbon monoxide detector and it went off. He shut the furnace down and kept the fireplace going. When is girl friend couldn't get a hold of him in the morning she got a hold of his father who had a key. They entered to find him in bad shape. He was not expected to make it. He did, with complications. A few years later, due to the mood swings from the incident, he committed suicide.
     
  6. fosterchick

    fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

    A few years ago, I woke up to horrible smell in the house. The smell was from the wall around the burner in the furnace was falling on the burner and burning up. Well I ran to the carbon monoxide detertor. Our numbers were up but not high enough to go off. We had to air the house for an hour or so on one of the coldest winter nights in New England. We had just had the furnace cleaned the week before.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by