Caring for Silkies in Cold Climate

Lorielus

Songster
5 Years
Jul 9, 2017
Hi all,

Hope this finds you all well and keeping safe.

We've been considering adding a few Silkies to the flock for fun, but don't want to do so if they're not going to enjoy living here, so am seeking some advice on whether the environment here is suitable.

We live in Scotland (lowlands), so climate is cold and fairly regularly rainy (roughly 150 days out of the year with a few days of snow thrown in) with temperatures averaging Highs/Lows of 7/1C in winter and 18/11C in the summer.

They would have a weatherproof coop at night but otherwise be able to free range around about an acre (lawn, grass, planting beds, etc. standard garden stuff really) with plenty of big trees, bushes, etc. to hide from wind/rain if need be.

Would that be suitable for silkies? Do they have the sense to seek out shelter when it's raining or would we be forever having to dry them off and them not enjoying their lives here?

Any advice would be much appreciated as always!

I live in western Washington state where we are known for our rainy weather. I'm on the western foot of Mt Rainier at about 800 ft (243 meters).

Silkies will stay out in the rain until they are soaked, and still remain there. My ameraucana come out of the heavier rain but not the silkies.

They do ok in colder weather as long as they stay dry. We do get snow sometimes. Lowest temp we usually see is 10° F (-12° C). Some years it does get colder.

They learn pretty fast that getting their heads wet and rubbing them against things makes the feathers stay out of their eyes. I've had a few that would spill water into dirt to make mud so they could use that.

Silkies are more susceptible to predators since they dont see well because of the crests. If I free range here, I lose silkies. Mine are always fenced and their pens are roofed. I have a big fenced grassy courtyard that is netted to allow them to range some without worry.

Back
Top Bottom