Carolina Wren Insists on Building Her Nest IN The Coop!

I’ll try that. I have a feeling it might be a little bit of a challenge to get them to use it the first few days. (My birds are so spoiled!). And yes, but she’s been hard at work today!

I had Carolina Wrens that had tried to build nests in the nest boxes in some of the coops. Last year I had an infestation on mites in one coop and suspected the wrens had introduced them. Every time a wren would start to build a nest in one of the nest boxes I would take the nest out. I did clean out the nest boxes. I would toss the nest material out of the coops. Apparently they got the memo because they stopped trying to build nests in the nest boxes and moved into the barn.

Noooo!!! you don't want to start treating wild bids with permethrin, they'll spread it out where it can damage the local insect population.

Dusting one nest is not going to alter the local insect population significantly, period. Now if they were dusting the whole run, that would be a different story.

I did use the permethrin on a nest of ants outside the run, but wouldn’t use it inside or even on the wild birds’ nest... Like I said, I’m an all sand environment, so mites shouldn’t be a huge problem. Ants on the other hand... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom