Carolina Wren Insists on Building Her Nest IN The Coop!

If you can't remove the nest, or they put it right back, maybe you could sprinkle some poultry dust in their nest?? I don't think it would hurt them, if you use the .25% permethrin, like Hi Yield Pet/Livestock dust. They may not appreciate being treated for mites, and may decide to find a better place to nest! Just an idea...

....or she might appreciate having a parasite-free nest and raise more babies as a result.

If you can't remove the nest, or they put it right back, maybe you could sprinkle some poultry dust in their nest?? I don't think it would hurt them, if you use the .25% permethrin, like Hi Yield Pet/Livestock dust. They may not appreciate being treated for mites, and may decide to find a better place to nest! Just an idea...
....or she might appreciate having a parasite-free nest and raise more babies as a result.
Noooo!!! you don't want to start treating wild bids with permethrin, they'll spread it out where it can damage the local insect population.

Noooo!!! you don't want to start treating wild bids with permethrin, they'll spread it out where it can damage the local insect population.

Dusting one nest is not going to alter the local insect population significantly, period. Now if they were dusting the whole run, that would be a different story.

I did use the permethrin on a nest of ants outside the run, but wouldn’t use it inside or even on the wild birds’ nest... Like I said, I’m an all sand environment, so mites shouldn’t be a huge problem. Ants on the other hand... :eek:

Still a Slippery Slope....and not a good suggestion.

The solution for the OP's situation is to remove the nest and exclude the wild birds from entering the coop.
I agree. I ordered the doggie door from Amazon. (It’s a flat panel of plastic strips, like you see in the cold storage room at the grocery store.). Should be here tomorrow.

She quit building for a while yesterday, but was back at it this morning.

Still a Slippery Slope....and not a good suggestion.

The solution for the OP's situation is to remove the nest and exclude the wild birds from entering the coop.

Never said it was a good suggestion, just that it was a solution to the parasite insect issue. It does not address other disease issues brought forth by wild birds (newcastles, anyone?)

As a side-note, this is not a slippery slope type issue (At least, not as I have heard the term defined as). Clearly the OP has no issue using permetherin on other pests...

I agree. I ordered the doggie door from Amazon. (It’s a flat panel of plastic strips, like you see in the cold storage room at the grocery store.). Should be here tomorrow.

She quit building for a while yesterday, but was back at it this morning.
Great!
Can't wait to see it. Have read that installing a couple pieces at a time from the outer edges in helps acclimate the chickens to pushing past and thru the strips.

Did you remove the nest?

I’ll try that. I have a feeling it might be a little bit of a challenge to get them to use it the first few days. (My birds are so spoiled!). And yes, but she’s been hard at work today!

Back
Top Bottom