carrot tops!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greginshasta, Oct 15, 2007.

1. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    We have a couple organic grocery stores here in town and any time we can, we drop by the rear of the store where the unsold produce is left. They put a box of trimmings and unsellable veggies out there each night. One never knows what the box might contain.

This weekend the harvest included a large amount of the greens that are cut from the top of carrots. Holy smoke - do our chickens like those! Throw a handful into the run and they are little shredders tearing it apart. Nothing left in 10 minutes.

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

OH another treat I must try......... I do believe I have the MOST finicky chickens on earth.....thanks for the idea !

3. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    If you cut the top off a carrot and set it in a bowl of water it will sprot tops. Might be a good idea for winter greens.

4. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    You can easily grow some mixed leaf lettuce greens in a wide shallow planter in a sunny window in the winter. There are many different seed mixes available. Sow them rather thickly in planting mix and you can cut to about inch above the soil and they will keep coming back. If you cut in stages you should be able to provide some fresh greens all winter long. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by