Cashier or Self Check-out. Which do you prefer?

I have been a cashier. I prefer the self checks. I can ring and bag my own faster than most cashiers. Also on the bad side self checks take away cashiers jobs. What store wouldnt want to pay 1 cashier for running 3 or more registers then having to pay a cashier for each register. I will tell you being a cashier is not a easy job. You get blamed for everything that happens in the store from too many carts in the parking lot to the prices and everything inbetween.

I very rarely shop at Walmart, but when I do I always use the self check. At least where I live, the checkers at Walmart are horrible and are not allowed to make any decision. They seem to hire only the laziest and least friendly folks possible. People who would rather do anything else besides their job. I really don't like being treated like a burden when I am patronizing a store. And at least if I have a problem with self check, the cashier at the self check has the authority to make changes and fix things without calling a manager.

At a regular store I will use them if I have a few items, and there are no lines.

I dislike it. Some of my family calls it self slavery. Personally i always end up in a fight with the things and loosing. It complains about how I put things one it or if i leave items on too long or it claims I didn't put item in the bag when i did o claims I put an item in the bag without ringing it up.
But then.... you should see me with a sewing machine. I prefer to sew by hand because the machine grabs the fabric and growls at me
Why do machines hate me!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I don't like the stupid things because I'm not smart enough to work them. I want a live person to blame when something goes wrong.
hide.gif

I have WHAT in my yard? :

If there is a creepy or inappropriate cashier tell some one.

Believe me, I did complain, and was told 'he just had an unusual sense of humor'​

Glen's, the local supermarket chain in northern Michigan, only has self-service at one location near us, one I rarely shop at. When I do, I use the Spanish for the parctice and also to get odd looks from people marveling at the white gal who seamlessly glides through a Spanish transaction. We buy a lot of stuff direct from the farmer or from the local produce and meat markets or privately owned stores. I never shop at Wal-Mart.

We do use the one at Home Depot (DH is like a kid in a toy store there) mainly because we always seem to get caught behind people remodeling their bathroom and have 2-3 carts full of fixtures and toilets. Usually DH is just buying something fairly small like hardware or nails.

mom'sfolly :

I very rarely shop at Walmart, but when I do I always use the self check. At least where I live, the checkers at Walmart are horrible and are not allowed to make any decision. They seem to hire only the laziest and least friendly folks possible. People who would rather do anything else besides their job. I really don't like being treated like a burden when I am patronizing a store. And at least if I have a problem with self check, the cashier at the self check has the authority to make changes and fix things without calling a manager.

At a regular store I will use them if I have a few items, and there are no lines.

I work at Walmart and have been a cashier there. I was going to tell you why there are so many misinformed cashiers at Walmart but decided to edit myself. I dont want to get this thread locked.​

I like the self checkouts. They are much faster. The only thing I don't like is when it thinks you haven't put a small item in the bag and won't do anything till you "Put the item in the bag please". I just get frustrated waiting in lines. I always seem to pick the line where someone has an item that doesn't scan properly and they have to send a bag boy to see what the price is. Or I get behind the old lady that has to count out 9.87 in change and has arthritis so she has a really hard time grabbing the coins. Then the cashier has to count it and can't figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom