Cashier or Self Check-out. Which do you prefer?

A.T. Hagan :

I dislike self-checkouts and will avoid them whenever possible.

Everything becomes more and more self-service but you never get a discount for doing their job for them.

Now there's a point. They only have to pay one person to man four registers... saves them at least 3xMinwage per hour... a good point indeed.

Quote:
"Thank you valued customer" gets me every time
lol.png
There is a volume control on some of them.

They're OK, I use them a lot when I'm only buying a few items. Two things, I do not like about them are large bulky items are a hassle, and where I usually shop they have 1 cashier assisting with 8 self check out lanes. If you have coupons or buying something that needs ID the cashier always seems to be busy with something else.

Imp

A.T. Hagan :

I dislike self-checkouts and will avoid them whenever possible.

Everything becomes more and more self-service but you never get a discount for doing their job for them.

My discount is the 10 minutes I saved by not standing in another lane
big_smile.png

One of the stores near me has 4 self-checkouts, the other has 6. I like that the self-checkouts don't discuss how they're going to spend their weekend, with the self-checkout next door to them - instead they are totally focused on me, the customer.
wink.png
On the other hand, if I buy a lot of clearance stuff, they can be a pain in the neck as the clearance bar codes for some reason don't scan nearly as well. Also, if I am getting 10 of the same thing, I have to scan each one individually and it won't allow me to scan another until the first has been placed in the bag. The cashier can just scan it once, key in 'x10' and bag them all at the same time. Mostly I elect to do the self-checkout, but there are some instances where I prefer to go through a lane with a cashier.

I much prefer the self-check to the creepy cashier who always asks how my weekend is going, or asks me if I'm going to use the D-Con to poison my husband
hide.gif
(he's trolling to find out if I'm married or not)

Overall, I do like them IF they work well. In some days when they don't work, its a royal pain in the butt. However its faster to get thru. My mother on the other hand refuses to use them because it puts people out of work and she likes the personal touch that a computer won't do. Even something complain about when she has a bad day cashier.
wink.png

Also good for you and your buddy going on different registers to buy limited buys products (one item per person per household kind of thing).

Those things ARE no good if you are using Food Stamps or Food assistance of some sort.

Not all the grocery stores around here have them. All the Home Depots do, and a few others. Personally, I love them. There's never a line so I get out quicker. I don't at the grocery store if I'm buying beer, tho, since they do have to have someone key the code to verify you are old enough. Well, if all the regular lines are huge, I will, since it still takes less time more often than not.

As for the self checkouts putting people out of work- I worked retail all my working life. Trust me, if they are going to cut the jobs, they will, self checkouts or not. They'll just have fewer lanes open.

Back
Top Bottom