Cast iron skillets

I've been using cast iron cookware for years and several of the pieces belonged to my great grandmother. We're still using them. Old cast iron is quite collectable and some of the skillets are worth over a $100 and I have a cornbread pan that will cost you $250 if you can find one.
If you are searching garage sales look for Griswald first, then Wagner, next lodge and most unmarked aren't worth buying. One of the things that makes the old skillets so good is that the surface is worn smooth. I've found you can take a minigrinder with a knotted wire wheel and quickly smooth the surface. Then you season them and after a few seasoning they are good to go. One problem with iron skillets is that the exterior tends to build up a scale. When this start to become an issue just stick them in the oven and turn of the self clean cycle. It does a beautiful job of cleaning them. Then just wash them, reseason and you're back in business.

Suggestions?

Great suggestions here - seasoning is the key. Once totally, totally seasoned - you know, second generation pans - those can be left in water with no ill effect.

We won't have teflon "nonstick" pans in our house. The off gassing when allowed to get too hot will kill birds, we won't take that chance.

My cast iron skillets were my mom's, who knows, they may actually have been my grandmas! They need to be put in the fire the way Miss Jayne or Opa suggested to burn off the layer on the outside of the skillet. (didn't know it was called scale, thanks Opa!) Grandma would do it each year when we went camping, usually after cooking her indian bread on the hot cast iron.

Our skillets only need a little oil, even a spay will work and nothing sticks - except scrambled eggs LOL.

Any cast iron I have purchased like corn bread pans, go through a wash, coated with crisco, put in the oven on low heat for a while. That is repeated after each use to get the pan totally seasoned.

Good luck with your pans - I love mine - and if you are not successful - - go to a thrift store and look for previously owned and loved pans.​

Quote:
I have 2 cast iron skillets, they are both Lodge. I just started cooking with cast iron skillets 2 years ago. I will NEVER go back to the other. Love them!

Momma use to let us play in the sand with her Rusty Pans til she wanted to use them then back in the house for a good cleaning and away she would cook!!
We Own several they all are momma right now, what comes in mommas kitchen, stays in momma kitchen is momma's Right!! Well we have a 8" Square, and a cornbread skillet, and large skillet, then a tiny one egger on the Wall, cause it was grandpa's! I bought momma a Square platter for her cornbread to go to church socials!!
big_smile.png

My Boss's house burned not to long ago and she went everywhere tring to find a iron skillet that was the same size as hers, then a fireman that was at the fire said why not use yours from the fire! She went to get and the fire had burnt all her other dishes and warped other pans, but not her cast iron she wiped out the ash and seasoned it up good as new!!

GPN

Never thought I'd get so much good information about this subject.

Thanks everyone.

Looking forward to getting them cast iron skillets cooking in the kitchen.

Quote:
I hope you don't mind, but I tried this tonight, and it was YUMMY!

No, of course I don't mind, glad you tried it. I marinated mine in olive oil, rosemary, and garlic for a few hours before cooking then lightly salted after it was cooked. Moist and delicious!
smile.png

I didn't marinate it because I got started to late. I did put some oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in the pan. It really was moist. My DH loved it. thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom