Castrating An Older Buck

I have successfully neutered quite a few older bucks. Mostly for people that got or had babies and never got around to it or didn't realize how difficult an adult buck would be to handle and care for. Ages 1 year to probably the oldest at around 5 years old. I bought a calf bander that has a much bigger stronger band. The band goes on just like with the younger boys and most of the time the worst part is just holding them down to be able to get the band on, the big boys seem to notice the band a lot less then the little guys. It takes awhile for them the loose their bucky-ness and I dont recommend them to be put with any does for at least 3-4 weeks. In 6 months to a year they will loose the longer fur and all the smell and some of the attitude though they still will act bucky from time to time since they were full grown to begin with. I did do my own pygmy buck after his show and breeding days were over and he is so much happier being able to live amongst the main herd and without the smell everyone wants to pet him and he has always been really outgoing and a people friendly goat, so now he gets all the attention he wants.

Thanks cutiepieacres
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom