CAT in run!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CarriBrown, Nov 7, 2007.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing

DH found a cat in the run while he was checking on the chickens tonight!! Is this something I need to be worried about?
    I've never seen a cat around here because I have three dogs, two being cat killers, but this happened just now in the pitch dark!
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Unless you have chicks or really tiny birds, they should be fine. If anything... I would say they were after the mouse you didn't see!

There are always exceptions though.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing

Quote:That's what DH and I were thinking but we weren't sure. I know our dogs love the lay pellets so I don't see why a cat wouldn't try to eat some, either. We also have to keep on top of the rats and mice around here, so maybe you're right- The cat is looking for a rodent.
    I have a Silkie who is trying to brood under the coop [​IMG] by herself. She is very docile... Do you think the cat would try to harm her?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

That sorta depends on the cat. Most cats wont take on a full grown chicken. I had a stray tomcat that I fed for years and he often encountered my girls while they were freeranging. They'd cackle loudly and he'd take off in the opposite direction. I know we have some other cats here because I've caught glimpses of them from time to time, but I'm not worried about them with my birds. If I had youngsters less than a couple of months old outside, I might worry a little, though.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing

OK, that's good to hear. Sounds like this cat won't be a problem. We just went back out to check on them. Gwen is in the coop and hopefully she'll stay there. And, because he looked so cute sleeping, I had to grab Hotwing and give him kisses and hugs. We brought him in a weighed him again... 7-3/4 lbs! And out of all the birds, he's the biggest SISSY!

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Songster

Jul 11, 2007
    out of my 3 chickens, and my 7 or so months having them, each one has been attacked, chased, cornered, etc, by my neighbors cats. I have made many changes to the coop/run, but never enough i guess. Next week I hope to buy a cat trap/raccoon trap.

7. kstaven

kstaven Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I would be concerned with a neighborhood cat coming in to the pens. I have lost three large orpington hens to house cats.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

They must grow em tough up there! I've never seen a cat that wasn't pretty spooked by chickens. How big are those house cats to take on an Orp hen?

9. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have 7 cats outside during the day, 4 are mine and 3 are feral. My 4 males that go outside are 12-14 pounds of muscle, they catch and eat squirrels. They wouldn't dream for going into the chicken pen. I'd be afraid if a cat got to one chicken alone but a flock of chickens are safe from cats.

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    If the Silkie hatches out her nest, the babies will not be safe with a cat around, though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: