CAT in run!

CarriBrown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
Thousand Oaks, California
DH found a cat in the run while he was checking on the chickens tonight!! Is this something I need to be worried about?
I've never seen a cat around here because I have three dogs, two being cat killers, but this happened just now in the pitch dark!
smack.gif

Unless you have chicks or really tiny birds, they should be fine. If anything... I would say they were after the mouse you didn't see!

There are always exceptions though.

Quote:
That's what DH and I were thinking but we weren't sure. I know our dogs love the lay pellets so I don't see why a cat wouldn't try to eat some, either. We also have to keep on top of the rats and mice around here, so maybe you're right- The cat is looking for a rodent.
I have a Silkie who is trying to brood under the coop
barnie.gif
by herself. She is very docile... Do you think the cat would try to harm her?

That sorta depends on the cat. Most cats wont take on a full grown chicken. I had a stray tomcat that I fed for years and he often encountered my girls while they were freeranging. They'd cackle loudly and he'd take off in the opposite direction. I know we have some other cats here because I've caught glimpses of them from time to time, but I'm not worried about them with my birds. If I had youngsters less than a couple of months old outside, I might worry a little, though.

OK, that's good to hear. Sounds like this cat won't be a problem. We just went back out to check on them. Gwen is in the coop and hopefully she'll stay there. And, because he looked so cute sleeping, I had to grab Hotwing and give him kisses and hugs. We brought him in a weighed him again... 7-3/4 lbs! And out of all the birds, he's the biggest SISSY!

out of my 3 chickens, and my 7 or so months having them, each one has been attacked, chased, cornered, etc, by my neighbors cats. I have made many changes to the coop/run, but never enough i guess. Next week I hope to buy a cat trap/raccoon trap.

I have 7 cats outside during the day, 4 are mine and 3 are feral. My 4 males that go outside are 12-14 pounds of muscle, they catch and eat squirrels. They wouldn't dream for going into the chicken pen. I'd be afraid if a cat got to one chicken alone but a flock of chickens are safe from cats.

Back
Top Bottom