cat with tapeworm AGAIN... what to do now...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dar, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have 3 cats and 2 of the 3 have tapeworm AGAIN [​IMG]

I have used the OTC tapeworm meds with great success but I am always worming them... they get them from eating the mice and the chipmunks... I cant stop them .. if i block them from going outside you would swear i was killing them with all the howling that goes on.. (yes they are spayed and neutered)

Is there an injection that has a lasting effect?

I will call my vet in the morning but I thought I would ask here and see the response to see if its even worth it... (the vet cost that is.. )

2. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Good luck mine got it all the time I was constantly taking her to the vet and paying the fees. Then I found OTC tapeworm meds at Petsmart that worked really well. I had to worm her about 2x a month every month or so until about a year ago when she turned 15 and slowed down a little on the eating of the kill. I do not believe there isn't any lasting meds that work.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    They get tapeworms from eating any fleas on them too.. (like when they clean themselves..)
    So thats why they keep getting them...
    Its a real PIA.. [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Cats need to be on a regular deworming schedual. I use Virbac, and do it every 3 months. I also do roundworm around that time too.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Safe-guard wormer

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Called the vet today and he said he can give him a shot that will last about 6 months to control roundworm and tape worm... the shot costs $25 SOLD! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by