catching and culling roosters (graphic) questions

CanadaEh

Songster
May 31, 2018
Canada
I need to start planing on how to cull 6 out of 7 of our roosters in a small flock of 23-week old 7 chickens and 7 roosters as they have just began figuring how to mate today :eek:

a) if I manage to put one in a bag will it create enough disturbance that I would not be able to get close enough to get the rest of them? OR
b) head shots with a pellet gun - will the view of rooster flopping on the ground be too traumatizing for the rest of the flock? Any issues with blood spilled all over the run in terms of either spreading deceases or chickens becoming aware of their flockmates blood?

Normally, what I do is wait until they are roosting at night and going to The Coop with a flashlight and scoop up each of the roosters that you would like to cull. Put them into a transport cage of some sort and take them out of the coop to wherever you must do the culling. Removal of the head is the fastest and most sure method.

I need to start planing on how to cull 6 out of 7 of our roosters in a small flock of 23-week old 7 chickens and 7 roosters as they have just began figuring how to mate today :eek:

a) if I manage to put one in a bag will it create enough disturbance that I would not be able to get close enough to get the rest of them? OR
b) head shots with a pellet gun - will the view of rooster flopping on the ground be too traumatizing for the rest of the flock? Any issues with blood spilled all over the run in terms of either spreading deceases or chickens becoming aware of their flockmates blood?
Definitely easier to grab them off the roost at night.

If you just start shooting(hope you are one hell of a good shot) it will definitely cause chaos amongst the flock....if you have disease in your flock it's already spread.

Do you plan on eating these cockerels or just want to kill them?

No the blood will not bother the chickens. And if it comes from healthy chickens, it will not be enough blood to cause any contamination issue with just 7 birds.

It will upset the flock, not so much the death, but the missing birds. Will throw the pecking order for a loop. They may be skittish for a few days, but will probably settle down quickly after removing those adolescent roosters.

Roosters are competitive devils and if you shoot the alpha rooster in the head with a pellet gun the odds are great that ever other rooster on your place will rush in pell-mall to get a few cheep shots at the dying roo before he stops flopping. Chickens are not sympathetic creatures, far from it.

The simple act of catching a bird from your flock will cause the most disturbance, not tagging and bagging him.

We'll freeze/eat them of course. I am planing to follow this skinning guide: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...inning-gutting-graphic-and-pic-heavy.1085563/ . I have processed game before, just never a bird.

I will follow the good advice getting them from the roost and processing after dark.
If you have a dog crate to keep them in, you can take them off the roost, crate them and wait until morning so it’s easier to see what you’re doing. We catch and process them at the same time. I have an old-fashioned chicken catcher that I use. We don’t let them out of the coop right away on processing day. I go in the coop, snag one, hand it to DH who kills it right there. (Keeps the mess away from the house). My other chickens have never been particularly upset by the slaughter - more by the change in flock dynamics as Mrs. K mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom