Catching your chickens,

StandardLover

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Hello.
smile.png

So I had a quick question, when I let my chickens out, it usually takes a LONG time to catch them all (with trying to corner them and picking them up.) What is an easy way to catch them. Does it hurt them to grab their tails just to stop them/etc? Thank you, StandardLover.
smile.png

Last edited:
Usually you shouldn't have to catch them (I assume you are cooping them?) chickens usually go to roost when it starts to get dark. Otherwise, could you catch them while they are eating? they are usually interested more in food them people. Good luck,

Why do you want to catch them when they are free ranging? Grabbing them by the tails will result in pulled out tail feathers. If you need to examine them, why not wait until they return to the coop?

Yeah I thought that proably wouldnt be good, just wanted to make sure. Were building the coop now, so they are in seprate "little coops" at the time, so I let them out everyday for about two hours under my watch. (To many predators for them to be free ranged.) Coop done in two weeks~!

I only have 8 chickens so this may not be helpful, but I usually take two long sticks and guide the majority into their run. The others will usually follow and if not then I go guide them in as well.

If I need mine to get back in their run area when they are out free ranging I just shake my bag of dried meal worms and they come a runnin'! LOL You should be able to grab them if they are busy eating a snack they really enjoy.
wink.png

let them out in the evening, just an hour or so before bed. Then you can watch them and they will go in on their own

We have allot of birds and they are not pets for the most part so the ones the kids don't cuddle are pretty wild. If for some reason we have to catch one of them fast we use a long handled big ol fishing net... Works great!

As far as nighttime they go in on their own....

Last edited:
We have a couple of pieces of 3/4" PVC. The girls seem to see the white pretty well as it waves at them, getting them moved closer to the run. Then, the run door is open and I just circle them around the run in the right direction so that when they get to the gate standing open, they're next to the open doorway ... and in they go.

If I can stay out there until dark, then I do and let them go back themselves. But, if I need to go in for some reason? "NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT! NIGHT NIGHT! NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT! C'MON, GIRLS, NIGHT-NIGHT!" until we get in, then they get tosses of scratch with the highpitched "TREAT!! TREAT TREAT! TREAT!!!" as a reward for letting me go get my supper.

My girls are still young, but they're figuring it out!

Well if it's the tail pull I use its not a tail pull its sorta like holding a sweater to let someone know you want them to turn around. I think that is ok. I've had to use it a couple of times but not to get them in. Just to stop them from walking forward for a second so I can take another step and grab their back. If you are having trouble getting them inside during the day because you dont want them out while your gone, then grab some scratch or carry a bowl lol. I get mine with scratch. We have dogs out here that run loose so if I need to leave halfway through the day I just call them and they come running. They also come if I carry out trash, carry an empty bowl, or carry my laundry basket lol. I tell them repeatedly I have nothing for them when I dont but they dont understand. If you are trying to get them to come in at night I would leave a light on in the coop and leave some food in there and water so that they will go in at night and fill up the crop before bed. I've had to bring a few in here and there from roosting but they roost near the coop. My girls know what the word "in" means and I just kinda shoo them and say in girls go in. I just sorta corral them in with my arms.

Back
Top Bottom