caterpillers. Ugg!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Apr 19, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am overwelmed with fuzzy black caterpillars!!!! They are black with a yellow (green?) line on them. They are building web looking nests in my trees. Those webs are dense and white and covered in more caterpillers and full of little black spots. The chickens won't touch the darn things. What are they are are they taking over the world? How do I get rid of them before they hatch into freaky mutant flying things. UGG!!!

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

They sound like tent caterpillars.

3. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

do they look like this?
    [​IMG] These are army tent worms.

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is an organic control for them. There are insecticidal treatments as well.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yes! They look just like that! How the heck do I get rid of them? Where might one get Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) and are there any other cures? What will they do if I leave them be? Will they kill my trees?

6. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    *shudders*

i cant deal with the catapillars. eww.

7. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    We get them around here. Whatever you do don't set the caterpillar nest on your lawn, dad did that once and they connected the web thingy to the ground. The web that they make is a whole lot stronger than it looks, and we couldn't pry it off the ground. [​IMG]

(just as a side note: I love caterpillars...)

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Kids love them but I DON'T!!
    They are everywhere right now. Chickens won't eat them but chicks aren't as picky [​IMG]

9. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

I like caterpillars but not tent caterpillars, they are disgusting. They always tent in my crabapple, or weeping cherry. My solution, WD-40 and a lighter, burn them it works good.

10. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:They do quite a bit of damage to the tree's leaves. [​IMG] We have them here, too during the Summer. [​IMG] I like caterpillars, I just don't like those ones; they have pointy hairs that make you itch sometimes, and when you touch them they will spaz out! [​IMG] creepy.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by