Cattle panel run

PetesChicks

Songster
7 Years
Aug 21, 2016
Podunk, MA
I’m building a new run for my coop, and was thinking of having cattle panels attached to the side of my coop (20’ long) and arching out to a 2’ knee wall. What would be the best way to attach them to the coop, and any idea how far out they will extend? They will be about 7’ off the ground where the go onto the coop. I’m hoping with the knee wall, they will be high enough for me to walk around in there. Otherwise I’ll have to rethink my plans. Thanks.

Cattle panels seem to be a standard size of 16 feet, x 4 feet. 50 inches is just 2 inches over 4 foot.
I do not know how far the 2 foot knee wall is away from the coop wall. That would make the height of interior vary on the distance. The closer the wall, the higher the resulting arch.
Not sure what your coop is constructed of, but if it is wood, and heavy enough, than these U nails should hold panels in place.
serveimage

Once you have all your panels up and constructed, you will also need to secure/overlap at least the bottom 2 feet with ether chicken wire , or HC, to keep your chickens from walking out thru the openings. 6" x 8" is large enough for many chickens to squeeze thru.
Your run is secure to a minimum for most daytime purposes. It is mainly to keep your chickens in.
THERE ARE WAYS TO MAKE IT MORE SECURE, IF YOU WOULD NEED IT TO BE.:thumbsup
Hope this answers some of your questions.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I’m building a new run for my coop, and was thinking of having cattle panels attached to the side of my coop (20’ long) and arching out to a 2’ knee wall. What would be the best way to attach them to the coop, and any idea how far out they will extend? They will be about 7’ off the ground where the go onto the coop. I’m hoping with the knee wall, they will be high enough for me to walk around in there. Otherwise I’ll have to rethink my plans. Thanks.
How far away from coop is this knee wall?

Oh man there is a project like this from last year....wish I could remember who did it.
Let me dig, maybe I can find it.

So attached to the coop on the 50" end of the panel?

I would run boards inside the coop so I could use strapping like plumbers strap screwed through the siding and into the interior boards.

Oh man there is a project like this from last year....wish I could remember who did it.
Let me dig, maybe I can find it.
I couldn't find the thread...but here's a layout I did for her.
She put ledger board on coop wall to attach panel too,
then a heavy beam and post to support it midway.
I can't remember if she ended up cutting the panel shorter,
as dimensions below show, or not.
Hope that helps some.
upload_2019-8-26_16-57-2.png

That is a great drawing, art! Pretty much just what I was thinking of!!!

I haven’t started the project yet, probably Thursday or Friday. So I don’t have the knee wall built or placed yet, I was basically wondering if it would work and give them enough room. Looks like it’s going to be fine.

Thanks again!

We made a run out of three 50” wide cattle panels for our bachelor pad. The height of the top at the middle is about 6 ft; my DD is 5’8” and has no problem moving around in there. Here are some pictures of it and it’s attachment to the coop. It was attached though the exterior siding into the coop studs using pipe strapping. We used both hog rings and zip ties to attach the panels to each other and the hardware cloth to the cattle panels. The cattle panel was 16’ long and width of the run was 7’. Only one roo uses the coop; the others prefer to roost in the run...

Attachments

• EDD18DF2-876B-46F7-AAA0-01A5E7E55EE9.jpeg
    EDD18DF2-876B-46F7-AAA0-01A5E7E55EE9.jpeg
    967.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 50A884FE-7750-470F-88AE-74914BD9C760.jpeg
    50A884FE-7750-470F-88AE-74914BD9C760.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • CEEF1D45-8FDD-497E-BC59-47766AB0B993.jpeg
    CEEF1D45-8FDD-497E-BC59-47766AB0B993.jpeg
    942.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 0437C77F-FE14-4694-A7C5-7521C793E058.jpeg
    0437C77F-FE14-4694-A7C5-7521C793E058.jpeg