Caught a domesticated ferret killing

I'm so sorry!
It's a weasel, and acting like weasels do. And I agree, but send it to Animal Control instead, or shoot it. I hope you aren't handling it, and didn't get it's fresh saliva on any of you from handling your dead birds. If yes, Animal Control, and have it tested for rabies, because it's the safest thing to do any time you have such contact, with a critter who's likely not vaccinated.
Most of learn the hard way that our chickens aren't protected well enough, and it's awful!
Do upgrade everything, and don't give up on having chickens!
Mary
I want to say thank you. Posted this on my local chicken chatter and I was attacked and told I killed my chick
And they should have fallen all over themselves apologizing, and made an offer to cover all your costs. And thanked you for not killing their little darling.
Mary
honestly they were so nonchalant about it I was horrified. I asked the 11 year old that came to get the ferret how he'd feel if I wasn't able to catch the ferret before my dog did. He shrugged. And then I dealt with a lot of people on Facebook blaming me because a domesticated ferret wouldn't kill 6 juvenile pullets in 90 minutes. (guess what, it definitely can happen) So I appreciate you folks for being kind. We are heartsick over here. Hubby is going over every inch of the run tomorrow.

Getting a backyard camera Friday because I know it will be back and I want proof. The cage it is in is appropriate for a rabbit, NOT a ferret.

I want to say thank you. Posted this on my local chicken chatter and I was attacked and told I killed my chick

honestly they were so nonchalant about it I was horrified. I asked the 11 year old that came to get the ferret how he'd feel if I wasn't able to catch the ferret before my dog did. He shrugged. And then I dealt with a lot of people on Facebook blaming me because a domesticated ferret wouldn't kill 6 juvenile pullets in 90 minutes. (guess what, it definitely can happen) So I appreciate you folks for being kind. We are heartsick over here. Hubby is going over every inch of the run tomorrow.

Getting a backyard camera Friday because I know it will be back and I want proof. The cage it is in is appropriate for a rabbit, NOT a ferret.
You've had a horrific time....those owners should have the ferret taken away from them for sure. Also, you should get financial compensation like another on this thread suggested.

You've had a horrific time....those owners should have the ferret taken away from them for sure. Also, you should get financial compensation like another on this thread suggested.
Who is going to take the ferret away?

As unseamly as it is, the ferret needs to be dispatched. It has tasted blood and will be back.

Ferrets do what Ferrets do...Humans, however, are the great "hall monitors" of nature.

Is there any way you can live trap it? If there is concern about rabies, do NOT let your dog have it and do NOT shoot it in the head. It needs to be tested, and possibly quarantined for 14 days. Animal Control would know. Yes, you are probably entitled to compensation, but that is a civil matter for small claims court. Even if rabies is not a concern, the ferret could injure your dog and then you would have vet bills. I am sorry for your loss and your troubles, with your birds, your irresponsible and uncaring neighbors, and with the hateful people on social media. I wish you well.

Back
Top Bottom