Caught a domesticated ferret killing

I am so sick guys. Caught a domesticated ferret that killed all my chickens. Saved one. Now I am being told that a ferret wouldn't do that and it had to have been a racoon or a weasel. What are the odds of me catching a ferret moments after finding my 6 juvenile pullets dead by a single bite.
Kids and I are devastated. My coop is predator proof but I guess my run has some gaps in the hardware cloth. Trying to find the ferrets owner even though I want to let my dog have it.

I recently lost 7 out of 9 to neighborhood dogs. I now have a BB gun, and am getting electrified fence. I’d politely, but firmly, let the owner know that if I ever see the ferret on my land again, that’ll be the end of the problem. So, they might want to better secure or redone it.

I am so sick guys. Caught a domesticated ferret that killed all my chickens. Saved one. Now I am being told that a ferret wouldn't do that and it had to have been a racoon or a weasel. What are the odds of me catching a ferret moments after finding my 6 juvenile pullets dead by a single bite.

Kids and I are devastated. My coop is predator proof but I guess my run has some gaps in the hardware cloth. Trying to find the ferrets owner even though I want to let my dog have it.

Agree with Mary, they must be held accountable for damages, otherwise they have no incentive to do the right thing. I would call Animal Control. but also local law enforcement, they can direct you if they're not the folks to handle it. If you caught it in the act, I mean, really, a raccoon???

Kids and I are devastated. My coop is predator proof but I guess my run has some gaps in the hardware cloth. Trying to find the ferrets' owner even though I want to let my dog have it.
Ferrets are lethal little killers, don't let ferret lovers persuade you they aren't. They are too closely related to weasels to not be. Ferrets and weasels are both members of the Mustelid family and are also very closely related to things like wolverines. Ferrets are larger than weasels and able to take bigger prey, and anyone who knows chicken predators knows how bad weasels are in a chicken coop.

Ferrets were often kept in centuries past as rat killers. Don't feel bad about disposing of it. If you can find the ferrets owners, and they can guarantee and prove it won't escape again then it's up to you if you want to forgive and let them have the animal back but if it were me? I'd get rid of it either by euthanasia or by taking it to a ferret rescue or something similar that is FAR away from you.

I'm truly sorry for what happened. I would have been a basket case if it happened to me.

I know ferrets like the back of my hand. I was seriously involved in the American Ferret Association (AFA). I bred them and also would take in unwanted ones. I was a senior judge at ferret shows but it wasn't just a show. It was one of the best ways to give out information. People needed to know if a ferret was truly the right pet for them.

Believe it or not, most of the ferrets I came in contact with were well behaved except for some of the give ups where most people got them on whims and treated them as throw away pets. I knew how to handle more aggressive ones because I was experienced but they became permanent residents. There was no way I could adopt them out with those temperaments.

In the 90's, we, in Maryland, got the state legislature to officially declare ferrets as domesticated and we're added in the same category with dogs and cats. That includes the laws associated with it such as a rabies shot being required. If it's a law in your state I doubt those people would have had it done. Then they could be reported for that too. It's not much but it's something.

The law was also changed on the minimum age ferrets needed to be to be sold so most pet stores stopped selling them. With this we hoped it would cut down on whims and a
anyone who really wanted a ferret would look us or another organization up. We never made money off selling ferrets. In fact it cost more keeping them. We mostly wanted to make as sure as possible that they were going to a good home with people that had a very good idea of what having a pet ferret would entail and realize they were very social and needed time out of their cage and enjoy playing with their human family. The one thing to know is that they have very tough skin so are used to biting down hard when playing with other ferrets. You may need to teach some of them to be more gentle so you scruff them by the neck and tunk them on the nose.

I've worked and had many types of animals and I've loved each and every one of them but ferret people have to face the facts. Ferrets have been known to kill other animals. In fact it pains me to say that one time one pof my ferrets got into my cockatiel's cage because I was careless. One thing to learn about ferrets is if they can get their head through an opening, they can get their whole body through. That's how Willow got out of her cage. She dragged Oliver out of his own cage while I wasn't home and killed him althougph she never tried to eat him. He was like a toy to her. I had to call a friend to look for him since Willow dragged him somewhere else. I didn't want to be the one to find him. I was so upset. Even talking about it now brings back some of the pain and that was almost 20 years ago. I hated Willow for what she did but I had to remind myself that she wasn't human so it wasn't malicious. The fault was mine, just like those people that owned the ferret that killed your chickens.

Those people should definitely pay for your losses but I know that that's not what was and is foremost in your mind. It angers me how people could care less of how what they do or don't do could effect others. The world revolves around them. Then they say that they're only animals. They can be replaced. (Yes. I've run into people like that.) I wish there was some way to really make them pay and I don't mean with money. Then maybe they would think twice about doing something like this again.

I am so sorry and admire you for standing tall. It has to hurt. Where I live, even though my chickens are pets, they are livestock. Nothing is allowed to kill livestock and can be dealt with in "defense of livestock". The ferret owners need to pay and it won't replace your lost babies, but it will make the ferret neighbors think when money comes out of pocket. The ferret may have a lead deficiency. Check your laws. Especially if you had to get a permit for chickens, there must be some action you can take. You can Google them. Thoughts and prayers are with you and I am so sorry for the loss of your babies. Who has pet mice?

When we were kids (65 years ago) our ferrets got loose (3 ferrets) and they killed 30 of dads Muscovy ducks in a few hours while we were away he was not pleased as these were a bit of extra income around Xmas as dressed birds ready for the table we were on a dairy farm and money in those days was very tight. Like my dad do not give up but learn from this experience and yes demand compensation from the ferrets owners as dad did to us

I am not surprised that a ferret would kill chickens. The wild form of the ferret (polecat) is native to Europe and can be a real pest around poultry. I realize you've got to get along with your neighbors, but if you have proof that their ferret is the culprit, I think you are definitely entitled to have them pay for the damage.

Back
Top Bottom