Caught a domesticated ferret killing

The ferret should be vaccinated, ours were anyway. But the owners sound like they lack in the most basic care, so probably not.

Ferrets have been used for hunting rabbits. They can be killers. My trio was sweet as can be. They never went after our pet birds, cats, dogs, or kids. But....they can. And I’ve heard many stories of them killing other pets and even eating off noses, lips, fingers, ect. Of little infants when the ferret escapes the cage at night and gets in the babies room. Some places have tried(I think some succeeded) in banning them for that reason.
You have every right to be upset. If it returns give it to animal control like other said. I can’t say to kill it. I know I wouldn’t be able to. I have a soft spot for them. But no one can blame you if you did. I’m so sorry for your losses:(

It was caught. my dog flushed it and I had grabbed it with a towel and shoved it in a cat carrier. This ferret is living in a rabbit hutch in a garage. It has chewed it's way out twice in the past month apparently.

Animal Control was called but essentially shrugged me off since I didn't have video. Something that is changing this week.

Honestly I would have handled this better if it was a wild animal and not someones ignorance on how to properly care for their pet. I had ferrets years ago and they never escaped my house.

I begged them to do better. I had to get a permit for my chickens... but any ignorant pet owner can go get a ferret.

Having a hard time finding replacement birds, because I had a mixed flock and I don't want all the same breed. Local farms are only doing straight run and I don't have good luck with that, and no roosters allowed in my city. Just heartsick and depressed over this. Sorry for rambling, they were my pets and I wanted chickens since I was young.

Having a hard time finding replacement birds, because I had a mixed flock and I don't want all the same breed. Local farms are only doing straight run and I don't have good luck with that, and no roosters allowed in my city.

Some hatcheries have chicks (including sexed pullets), and some even offer started pullets (a few weeks old, or point-of-lay.) Some places are still sold out, but I see at least two that could ship day-olds next week.

I am just so scared about shipping chicks. I know it is done all the time 😂

After a lot of searches I found a couple places that have pullets. Just need to make sure I can find friendly ones. 4 of my 6 were lap chickens and I miss my afternoon snuggle party already.

Thanks everyone.
Your welcome, glad you found some places to get new chickens :) Good luck with that, will pray that the ferret won't be back, but be prepared if they are. There's plenty of good ideas on this thread. As others have said, would not let your dog attack it cause the ferret could have rabbies. If you need to dispatch it quickly to prevent it from killing more of your flock, opt to shoot it instead. You could also trap it again, just don't bring it back to those same owners! If you can't get animal control to take it, could try and rehome it yourself, or kill it if need be, I don't think it's owners will miss it, and they shouldn't have it.

Your welcome, glad you found some places to get new chickens :) Good luck with that, will pray that the ferret won't be back, but be prepared if they are. There's plenty of good ideas on this thread. As others have said, would not let your dog attack it cause the ferret could have rabbies. If you need to dispatch it quickly to prevent it from killing more of your flock, opt to shoot it instead. You could also trap it again, just don't bring it back to those same owners! If you can't get animal control to take it, could try and rehome it yourself, or kill it if need be, I don't think it's owners will miss it, and they shouldn't have it.
Not sure OP has the right to rehome this ferret herself, since she knows who the owner is. Could be considered theft. Go through proper channels. Animal Control, and report that it is known to be an escapee snd predator.

Was anyone else thinking about those 2 ferrets in the movie, "The Beastmaster" while reading all of this? Or am I the only one?

weasels can kill several chickens, there very clever, if they cannot get into your coop, they will wait to chickens stick there head thru the mesh, to get grass or foalage, and there will bite there heads and kill them, i had to put a tiny meatal mesh around the bottom of the coop from keeping chickens from putting there heads thru, to get the grass or weeds on the other siade, this was effective in stopping weasel attacks, weasels can clean a whole chicken coup out in a short time.

Back
Top Bottom