Caught My Chickens Eating Cat Poop!

Why do bananas work to stop dogs eating cat poop? I have spent years showing and training dogs and have never run across that idea! Who Knew!

Cat poop is a delicacy to dogs not a sign of deficiencies - that much I know or at least believe!!

But why bananas?

signed,
One who has not witnessed a gross eating episode by a chicken (yet)!

I was housesitting, and brought my cat, with catbox. The people who owned the house had a border collie, and had just put in new, ice blue carpeting. Anyway, I was out, when the dog got into the cat box, binged on cat poopy, then threw it up onto the new carpet. Honestly the grossest, slimiest, nastiest thing I've ever had to see/smell/deal with.

Quote:
I got that bit of info from Cesar Milan on one of his shows that premiered a cat poop eating dog.
We have a German Spitz that hit the litter box on regular occasions and the banana thing did seem to work on him. Though his name is Simba he earned the nick name Schiess Kopf.
wink.png

I use wheat cat litter because it's biodegradable, clay litter is there forever. The chickens go berserk over it. It's gross but they eat the poop and the urine saturated litter.
barnie.gif
My only worry is that the wheat is probably from genetically modified wheat. I have no options for getting non GMO chicken feed here in south Louisiana but I hate to add to their GMO diet.

I used the wheat litter for several years and loved it. Unfortunately so did the miller moths. My house became infested with them and after cleaning out kitchen cabinets and throwing away a bunch of food and still finding them everywhere I finally realized they were in the wheat cat litter. So I changed to pine pellet bedding and I really like it now. It doesn't clump like the wheat but the urine breaks the pellets down into sawdust. The poop is easy to scoop out and then I use the urine soaked sawdust either as mulch for trees or on the veggie garden, depending on the time of year.

My chickens are eating right out of the litter box, turds pee and everything. It's very disgusting. Is this okay or should I hide the cat's litter box?

Back
Top Bottom