Caught this little guy snooping around the chicken house last night...

Earlier I said we eat what we kill and I want to clarify that a little. We have coyotes and foxes around here but I wouldn't eat either of those if I killed one. Haven't heard of anyone who would. I guess there is a line somewhere between foxes, coyotes, raccoons, nutria rats, capybaras, and possums. So I guess you could say we eat what we can when we kill it...

Some folks have the resources to build airtight coops and some build what they can with what they have. I don't see it as neglectful if your coop is invaded at night. Any time my coop is invaded I take measures to fortify it. Some folks are experienced with birds and others are first-timers. I think we need to hold true to the fact that this forum is for fellowship and information. I really appreciate the folks who put this forum together and I am glad I found it. You guys are full of great ideas. I am new here but I would hate to see someone who is new to this way of life get discouraged because their methods or means are looked down upon. On the other hand, this is a very graphic topic so go back and read the warning at the top of it. This thread is really getting some attention and it makes me feel good that there is so much input on the topic. Let's keep it up.

Peace...

His name is Uno (he has one leg) and he is a raccoon survivor.
103574_img00470-20110912-1853.jpg

Had the same thing happen to my quail, raccoon took their legs off .....thru 1/2 hardware cloth. they pull the feet and legs thru the 1/2 wire.

One thing people need to understand, the land will only hold so many, once they reach that number, so their winter food will not last then major starvation, better a few are remove so many don't starve. . reason State allow hunting to contol numbers.

This is the time of the year when the numbers are the highest.

Remember the major big predators have been remove, those did keep the numbers in checked.

So don't feel bad about removing a few.

Quote:
I got some smoldering pine, oak, and mesquite trees nearby that will BBQ him up decent.

Seriously tho, I live about 15 miles from Bastrop and that sucker was HUGE! I've cleaned out my closets, my pantry, and spent the last week dispensing water and meals to the fire fighters. I never wanna go through that again.

Quote:
Raccoon is good. BBQ it over a slow fire, more of a smoking than a true grilling. Little gamy but quite nice. Had plenty as a kid, same with 'dillo, wild rabbit, and deer. Squirrels were usually stewed. You can roast raccoon too, only it can wind up a little tough that way.

Why eat a possum? Darn things are really greasy. They make better cut bait for catfish.

This is Drumstick, he too survived a raccoon attack. The 'coon reached under his pen where he was sleeping in the corner with his young flock-mates. It was during the spring drought here, I didn't realize how loose the dry sandy soil was around this pen. The raccoon pulled out and pulled apart 4 other chicks, when I saw Drumstick's leg quarter on the ground I thought it was part of one of those dead chicks. Later I saw this guy standing in the corner looking awful sorry for himself, and only then realized he was missing a few pieces. It must have come off at the hip joint, there was no blood and not much of a wound to see. His skin was bruised for a few days but he recovered completely on his own. He's growing out nicely, good thing for me that I prefer white meat.
wink.png

7277_more_goslings_032.jpg

UNO and DRUMSTICK are so cute! So sorry they lost a leg.I just relocated a large coon to sleepy time.Everyone should do what they are comfortable with,and what the law permits.

Quote:
Ok, should we start a Survivors thread? Uno, Drumstick, who is next? Ilene, IHOP, Juan...

I prefer dark meat so I am about half out of luck. I guess that one leg will be swell-developed. Uno lost his at the hip too. Very clean, didn't bleed much. Our little wounded warriors.

I'm curious to see what he looks like under his feathers & meat. I didn't realize that was his leg quarter in the yard or I would have examined it more closely before burying it. Maybe this is a survival mechanism, like lizards with detatchable tails. Chickens with legs that easily, neatly & cleanly, detach at the hip are better suited for survival.

Back
Top Bottom