Caught this little guy snooping around the chicken house last night...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by palmettogroves, Sep 10, 2011.

1. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chirping

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    Racoon is just being a racoon, true to his nature. If you want to kill it and eat it, that is one thing. I do that to Bambi all the time. But to kill it and dispose of it for eating one of your chickens, seems like you might consider doing a better job protecting your flock... just saying...

A "Better" Job protecting my flock? Well I don't know if thats possible considering that He got one of them by crawling up the slick side of the coop, tore down the bird netting used to cover up a triangular opening in the top of the coop, got in the locked coop, grabbed a hen and got out all in one night without us knowing, I would say we can't do much about that-Thank you very much! (Sarcasm)​

2. clayburnley

clayburnley Hatching

Dec 16, 2009
    I believe it is not that difficult to build a raccon proof coop. For one thing, wire works better than bird netting.
    But then again maybe YOU can't do much about that...(sarcasm)

3. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Songster

Jul 30, 2011
    Woah!! Be nice, people!!! [​IMG]

4. emmak

emmak Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    I have to admit that sometimes I don't post things because I've had "experienced" posters make me feel like an idiot. I remember specifically the first time I lost a chicken and someone blasted me about biosecurity . . .

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Most people on here are good at blasting someone else.

6. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Songster

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Well I will probably be blasted too. Oh well. Maybe I have been just lucky but I feel I have my coop built like Fort Knox or any other Fort you prefer. I had a mother racoon living in a tree about 100ft from my coop and she had babies in the tree to feed. I never had a problem with her or the babies. When they got old enough off she and the babies went. Since I have never had any problems with any critter and I have quite a few living in my area, I don't think I could kill another animal even if it got my chickens. Sure I would be livid but I feel it's my responisbility to keep them safe and I believe I have done that since I never had a problem. That's what wild animals do, they're trying to survive as we are. I am not a hunter or any kind.

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Songster

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:SET HIM FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE I SAY!![​IMG]

8. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chirping

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    I believe it is not that difficult to build a raccon proof coop. For one thing, wire works better than bird netting.
    But then again maybe YOU can't do much about that...(sarcasm)

Ok first off i would like to apologize if I offended anybody here for what i have said in this thread. Second, I just wanted to say that No, I couldn't of done much about that because I had to build the coop out of what I had laying around the house. I think I spent less than 10 dollars on that coop. If I had the money available, then yeah, maybe I could make a raccoon- proof coop, but I don't so there isn't any good way to protect my chickens other than to trap the predators.​

9. mommissan

mommissan Songster

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I've said it many times, no chicken is 100% safe, and if it is, it isn't 100% happy. Raising chickens means accepting the fact that everything wants to eat them and if something wants to tear a coop apart to get it, it will. We have bears that tear barn doors off for a few rancid steak bones in a garbage can.

Do the best you can with what you have. Just love your flock.

10. dsfrango

dsfrango Songster

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Dont want to offend but i would put a pellet in its head. Once that animal gets a chicken it will come bk until its relocated or sadly disposed of:( Because of disease raccons prob the first u kill rather than relocate. Ive relocated a small skunk b/c he got 2 polish chicks when they were new b/c I had a new coop with a small week spot and they were still sleeping on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: