Caulking and Flashing

OvertheHenHouse

Songster
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
San Diego
I'm finishing up my coop - thank goodness, cuz the teenagers need to move out now! - and I've run into a couple of problems on the roof. First is that the caulking I got isn't filling in the gaps between the plywood. It's Blacktop and Roof Caulking, so that should be good, right? Not so much - it's as thick as tar and was really hard just to get out of the container. I've applied it twice and I've still got gaps - any suggestions? Second is the flashing, which I've never installed before. I was told that I should use my 3/4" roofing nails to install the flashing, however, those nails won't break through the aluminum. I tried nailing guide holes through the aluminum but they're not big enough for the roofing nails to go through. This may sound stupid, but do I need to pre-drill guide holes in the aluminum? Or should I just use regular nails?
Thanks in advance - really appreciate any advice.

Sounds like you need a bigger hammer
big_smile.png
Careful of your fingers.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

posting pics would help... most of us need visuals...

Yeah - would have helped for sure. Will see if I get some in the a.m. - thanks.

I called the hardware store this morning and it seems I was working with someone with even less experience than I have in roofing. He sold me the wrong kind of caulk - even though it's called Roof Caulk, it's not meant for panel edges. It's meant for flashing, which explains the consistency. And as for the flashing, I really don't want to buy yet another hammer so I think I'll just drill guide holes
smile.png
The guy at the hardware store even admitted their roofing nails aren't exactly sharp...
Thanks - hoping to finish the coop today!

Quote:
From my experience, neither are most of the people at the hardware store
smile.png
You could use a longer sharper nail to first punch a hole in the flashing, then pound in the roofing nail.

Quote:
From my experience, neither are most of the people at the hardware store
smile.png
You could use a longer sharper nail to first punch a hole in the flashing, then pound in the roofing nail.

Yeah - kind of ironic that tools for the shed are being sold by a lot of folks who really aren't the sharpest tools in the shed
lol.png

I tried the nail trick yesterday but the holes weren't big enough for the roofing nails to go through. I have the perfect size drill bit, though, and really enjoy using my cordless Makita so it's all good
smile.png

Thanks - and love your signature line!

First is that the caulking I got isn't filling in the gaps between the plywood

There really shouldn't be any gaps too large to fill, and plywood needs to be covered with something else anyway, so caulking gaps isn't really needed​

Quote:
There really shouldn't be any gaps too large to fill, and plywood needs to be covered with something else anyway, so caulking gaps isn't really needed

Thanks, Bear Foot Farm. That's what the guy at the lumber yard told me because I call him this morning as well. I'm covering it with two layers of felt (not a lot of pitch to my roof) and then shingles. I probably shouldn't have listened to the guy at the hardware store selling me the Roof Caulk...

Back
Top Bottom