Causes in decrease egg production?

Flycropper

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Central Arkansas
I have 6 hens and get anywhere 5 to 6 eggs a day. Sunday and yesterday that dropped to 4 and today I had three eggs.

I kept them locked in their coop most of the day Saturday while rebuilding their run (putting a better cover over it). There was a lot of hammering on the coop, digging, sawing etc. Would that have stressed them to drop egg production?

Also we have had a quick drop in temps. Would that sudden temp change alter egg production?

Hens are about 8 months old.

We have additional light in our coop but I think the cold makes them drop off too. We normally get 10-11 eggs a day and now are down to about 6-7. Combination of the changing seasons and the cold temps. Last year once they got used to the cold, the egg production went back up (with additional lighting). Just takes a few weeks to adjust.

Quote:
Yes, winter does make a difference. You can give the natural break and things will pick up in probably March. Or you can supplement with light. This is the first year I am doing the light. I am using one of those funny shaped new lights. A couple of days a week I do give them a break from the added light.

I believe it is a personal choice you have to decide what you want to do.

I read Wendy's link to the earlier post. One thing I did last week was change the timer. I was having the timer turn off the light late like 9 pm or so. I did that so I could see when I walked out the coop to lock them in. Recenlty I changed the timer to come on earlier in the morning and turn off earlier in the evening.

I bet I screwed up their wake/sleep/laying cycle.

Last edited:
With all the activity, they may have missed a few bites of feed.

With the colder temperatures, they may require a few more bites of feed.

And then there is light . . .

They need generous helpings - resources available for eggs are a matter of "some to spare."

And their cycles may be right at hand for them to climb back on and try again.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom