causes of explosive runny poop?

dftkarin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
I have a 3 year old australorp who hatched donated eggs and is mothering the two chicks that hatched - they are 6 weeks old now and so the mom is mostly eating unmedicated chick starter and spending a lot of time in the coop and all the chickens are sufferring with the recent heat. I have noticed that this hen has had explosive very waterly-runny foul-smelling poops for a few days now and I thought it might be from eating chick starter (she has access to layer pellets out of reach of the chicks but she seems to just eat what the chicks are eating). She did start laying again two days ago. I am bringing them fresh cool water a lot, feeding them extra fruit and veggies (frozen or at least chilled) because of the heat - could that be causing the watery poops? She seems okay otherwise - although the inside of the coop is pretty nasty. Should I worry? What can I do to help her? Can the heat bring this on?

I would say it is normal, she is probably drinking more and eating the chick food, when its really hot out it is a good idea to put electrolytes in everyones water it helps with stress, dehydration etc.

Back
Top Bottom