CAYENNE + NO LIGHT = EGGS DURING WINTER?

jaylyne8

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
HI
I HEARD ABOUT CAYENNE PEPPERS WORKING DURING WINTER TIME FOR EGG PRODUCTION BUT WOULD IT ALSO WORK WITH NO LIGHT SUPPLEMENT... IN COLORADO SUNRISE IS 7AM AND GET DARK AT 5:30ISH IN NOVEMBER...
THANX FOR ANY INPUT

Not sure about the no light but the cayenne should help. I had two birds who hadn't laid this entire year but a weekish after I put some cayenne in their feed I got eggs from both of them. BTW they were like two, two and a half years old.

Last edited:
HI
I HEARD ABOUT CAYENNE PEPPERS WORKING DURING WINTER TIME FOR EGG PRODUCTION BUT WOULD IT ALSO WORK WITH NO LIGHT SUPPLEMENT... IN COLORADO SUNRISE IS 7AM AND GET DARK AT 5:30ISH IN NOVEMBER...
THANX FOR ANY INPUT
My chickens are going into a molt right now, as they did last year at this time too. So with the shorter days and the molt, even the cayenne would not help them. Last year all 5 chickens took 4 month vacation from egg laying. I don't do supplemental lighting, but they do get cayenne weekly (mixed with veggies) to keep them worm free.

I can't remember now 'who' posted the info...but the reason some use pepper/cayenne pepper, is because the chickens drink More water and it's the added water that creates more eggs.

HI ALL

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL WEBSITE I SAW ABOUT CAYENNE... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...e-your-hens-lay-like-its-spring-in-the-winter

THEY TALK ABOUT HOW IT INCREASES THE METABOLISM OF HENS AND ALSO JUMPSTARTS EGG LAYING FOR HENS THAT ARE 2 YEARS OLD.... THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR WITH CHICKENS AND SOME SAY THAT YOU DON'T REALLY HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PULLETS SINCE THEY WILL STILL LAY BUT I'M JUST WORRIED THAT I WOULD GET NO EGGS DURING WINTER IF I DON'T USE SUPPLEMENTAL LIGHTING... I READ THAT FORUM AND SOME PEOPLE DON'T USE LIGHTING AND JUST USE CAYENNE BUT I;M WONDERING IF ITS TRUE... THANX FOR ANY INPUT

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...e-your-hens-lay-like-its-spring-in-the-winter

Last edited:
ep.gif
Weird stuff. I don't really care about the benefit it has on egg laying since my girls are doing great but it also works like a de-wormer?

There is no evidence that cayenne pepper does anything--no research, anyway. And you can bet that if the commercial laying industry could stop chickens from moulting by using cayenne pepper, they would. In fact, when I try to research where this claim came from, I find things like blog posts asserting "adding cayenne pepper to the water will make you see three or four eggs per day!" and this is obviously false.

There is a lot of research into alternative dewormers right now, but I can't find anything other than hearsay that cayenne would act as a dewormer, especially in the small doses you'd get into the birds. I don't see why it would, in the first place--if insect larvae couldn't handle capsaicin, my hot peppers wouldn't have bore holes in them.

So do you have to buy whole cayenne peppers or do you just shake a little out of the spice jar? Sorry if this seems like a silly question I am new to chickens

I sprinkle the cayenne pepper or flakes in rice or the water I cook spaghetti in..... 2 treats they love ( can you say spoiled!!!) I have 10 layers, 9 mos old and get an average of 8-9 eggs daily. I am debating running electricity to the hen house as they start heading into the coop by 5:00 and they don't come out til 7.

Does anyone know if chickens need so many hours sleep???

Thx!

Back
Top Bottom