Cayenne pepper powder to cure worms - how hot????

If you want to have some real fun, spike birdfeeders with hot pepper and mix a lot in to the suet feeder mix and watch the squirrels try to eat some of it THEN!!!

Pumpkin seeds really *seemed* to help with tapeworms in my flock. Not a scientific study, but I was seeing the tapeworms in the feces of a few of my birds. Gave them all garlic/pumpkin/dandelion/carrot mash- and I stopped seeing the tapeworms. So not a blinded study with controls, but I think it just might have helped. I am somewhat the skeptic with herbal dewormers, but I now feed them pumpkin seeds on a regular basis.....

Quote:
Lollipop, your waiting to "see the symptons, or the worms..." is not much help. Getting a fecal test done by a vet will show you for sure, and probably so, that your chickens, especially if they free range on dirt, have LOTS of worms.

Guess I`m just "Old School" Joe. Never took a chicken to a vet as , like doctors, vets seem to be "practicing" on their patients. I`ve been at this a long time and I guess I`m just too set in my ways to change. Thanks for the advice, though......Pop

I thought that roundworm and tapeworm were the same thing, but I learned today that they aren't.

This convinces me that Wazine 17 (kills only roundworms) should be given before any other worm medicine, i.e., clear the roundworms out first so the chicken's system won't be overloaded with dead worms to dispose of; then wait ten days before giving Valbazen.

ROUNDWORMS (Nematodes) include the families of HOOKWORMS, PINWORMS, WHIPWORMS, THREADWORMS, etc. These can range in size from as small as 1 mm. to as large as several inches/mms. They are most commonly found in the intestines of the host. They are often contracted through the skin. By migrating throughout the body, they can cause a wide variety of symptoms of disease.

TAPEWORMS (Cestodes) are generally the largest of all of the parasites. They are very mobile, and can change location within the host daily. They are segmented worms. They have 3,000 to 4,000 segments in their bodies. Each segment can contain up to 50,000 eggs! They are able to release up to 1,000,000 eggs into the host's body EVERY DAY! Some tapeworms can live up to 25 years within a host. They have been known to grow as large as 33 feet in length (10 meters) within the gastrointestinal tract. However, their larvae can be found in almost any organ.

Last edited:
OK--read all this about adding things like ACV and pepper to the diet of my birds, and i like the idea of doing natural things to help them be healthy.
ya.gif

my question then is this>>>>> if we give them yummy things and the eggs are yummy for it.... if we give them ACV will that make the eggs a bit acidic and off flavored, and hot pepper.....will that give an off flavor to the eggs as well?
hmm.png

i know that if the cow gets into the wild onion patch you most certainly do not want the milk!!
sickbyc.gif

idunno.gif

Quote:
Looks like, if you do that, you would have to wait another 10 days to clean out the rest of the hatchlings, providing you are treating for the other types of worms. Whadda you think?........Pop

Last edited:
Quote:
Looks like, if you do that, you would have to wait another 10 days to clean out the rest of the hatchlings, providing you are treating for the other types of worms. Whadda you think?........Pop

I agree.
I gave them Wazine 17 on November 16 [two ounces in two gallons of water for one day (one ounce in two gallons for the silkies and chicks)]. I began that day to throwing all their eggs away.
On November 26, using a 1 ml oral syringe, I will give all my Orpingtons 1/2 ml of Valbazen and all my silkies 1/4 ml of Valbazen. Then I will throw away all their eggs for two more weeks.

ETA BTW, Valbazen will kill roundworms too, along with all other types of worms, so after having treated them ONE time with Wazine you never have to use anything again except Valbazen.

Last edited:
Quote:

I agree.
I gave them Wazine 17 on November 16 [two ounces in two gallons of water for one day (one ounce in two gallons for the silkies and chicks)]. I began that day to throwing all their eggs away.
On November 26, using a 1 ml oral syringe, I will give all my Orpingtons 1/2 ml of Valbazen and all my silkies 1/4 ml of Valbazen. Then I will throw away all their eggs for two more weeks.

ETA BTW, Valbazen will kill roundworms too, along with all other types of worms, so after having treated them ONE time with Wazine you never have to use anything again except Valbazen.

I see what you`re saying, Joe, but my point is, aren`t you gonna treat with Valbazen to get the hatchlings, other than roundworms?......Pop

Back
Top Bottom