Cayenne pepper powder to cure worms - how hot????

That's a good idea dawg about putting the pepper straight on the droppings on the ground. It drives me nuts when I catch him out there snacking. I've got a bottle of hot sauce I'm gonna go out there on start shakin'.

And Candiss, your right, to each is own. I wasn't trying to imply what one person does or another does is right or wrong. Everyone does their own thing and that's great. It's just that I've never heard of taking fecal samples to a vet. I've actually learned something and will come in handy if I ever need to seek help of a vet.

You can take a fecal sample to the vet if it less than 24 hours old.. I know, it sounds odd but people do it.. I think like dawg said, it would be more economical to just treat them.

Candace

Quote:
Hi,
Do you feed pumpkin seed with shell on? Do you buy in bulk and if so where?

Thanks,
Joe

i found that my local feed store this time of year sells pumpkin seeds advertised for feeding squirrels. i also had a lot of mini pumpkins from my own garden that i gave to my birds back in August and September and that was when i saw the signs of worms in their poop! most birds started going through their molt anyways so i wormed both with pumpkin seeds, garlic, carrots, and used wayzine in their water as a backup plan. then used a stronger dewormer about 12 days later just in case. i wish someone would come up with a better, safer dewormer for egg layers that is FDA approved, but i care about my ladies and want them around for my 'therapy'!

Quote:
Hi dawg53,
So what was the treatment for E Coli? What were your birds symptoms that concerned you and do you know how you birds picked up E coli?

During the last fresh egg E Coli scare I read many on-line comments from people who claimed they were buying locally produced eggs to avoid E coli and I wondered, "What makes you think the local producer's flock does not have E Coli."

Joe

Quote:
Hi dawg53,
So what was the treatment for E Coli? What were your birds symptoms that concerned you and do you know how you birds picked up E coli?

During the last fresh egg E Coli scare I read many on-line comments from people who claimed they were buying locally produced eggs to avoid E coli and I wondered, "What makes you think the local producer's flock does not have E Coli."

Joe

The treatment for E Coli is baytril, the aureomycin I was giving my rooster wasnt cutting it. He was lethargic, hardly eating, yellow diarhhea and then mixed yellow/green diarrhea. All chickens carry E Coli. It's when something happens to them that gets their guts out of whack for the E Coli to expand and take over. A stressful situation could cause it to get out of control in the chickens system. In addition to baytril, my rooster is being tube fed vitamins, mash, probiotics, nutri drench twice daily...the goal here is to get his gut flora back in working order. He is recovering and it's a slow process. As far as eggs are concerned, I dont know about that, my hens are fine. My rooster was always seperated from the hens because he's twice their size and weight and would hurt the hens. I think the last problem out there was Salmonella and not E Coli if I'm not mistaken. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom