Cayuga Duck Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dorlinedenwen, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Dorlinedenwen

Dorlinedenwen New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    Hey,

I really want to get a duck as an indoor pet... I really wanted a mallard but ended up deciding it was not a good idea because of temperament and loudness. I have seen many accounts that say the Cayuga is a great social and docile duck and is quiet most of the time. I want one I can take for walks and one that will sleep with me and sit in my lap and basically call me mom [​IMG] If anyone has any comments to help I would appreciate it... also, I really cant find a place to buy 1 egg... only batches of like 6, 9 or 12... I dont want to buy 6 and have to let 5 babies die because I only need one. If anyone would sell me 1 fertile cayuga duck egg, I would be so happy!

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I love my ducks, but ducks poop a lot. Are you going to put them in diapers? If not, they will poop all over you, your bed, etc...

Ducks can't "hold it".

3. Dorlinedenwen

Dorlinedenwen New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    Yeah, I was pretty thorough researching. I want to get one from this website... http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id47.html I have an idea where to get food, and am ready to be a duck mom. I only need one of course. I have had horses since I was born so I am knowledgeable about food choices and feed stores. I just have no idea where to get just one... I live in Indiana... I would prefer a female... I am not really sure if I should buy an egg or an extremely young duckling and just hope it takes to me... I dont want to get an incubator or anything.

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you order day-old ducklings you can avoid the hatching stage. A lot of places have a minimum order though. You might want to contact a local 4-H chapter and see if they have people hatching ducks. Otherwise, do a minimum order and sell the extras on Craigslist.

Another option is to look for area feed stores. The often sell individual ducklings in Spring.

5. Webbigail

Webbigail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Bay Area, CA.
    I ended up driving 6 hours to and from the hatchery out here to get my Cayugas. The hatchery had a 10 duckling minimum to ship and I only wanted 2. So maybe if you call a local hatchery you can make arrangements to pick up just one?

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Quote:DORLINE!!!!

I have 4 indoor ducks, and i'm probably the best person here to answer your questions...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not get a duck because you think it'll be a cool/fun pet... They are difficult to keep inside and required i HUGE commitment!!!!!!

The reason you will not be able to buy one egg is because the likely hood it's fertile, will hatch into a healthy duckling is slim. Some hatch a whole clutch of eggs and none will live. eggs have to be incubated and is expensive and unnecessary unless oyu plan on raising many many ducks. A day old can imprint on you if hatched in an incubator at a hatchery... they imprint on a Species and Bond with an individual. And that bond highly depends on the handling and care of the duckling.

ALL DUCK BREEDS are loud, poopy, messy, smelly animals... no matter if you use diapers or bedding or cages... this is just their nature... I have domestic ducks and a mallard. there is no difference in how loud they can get and all have typical duck temperments...

A DUCK IS NOT A DOG AND WILL NOT ACT LIKE ONE AT ALL!... they do not cuddle, like to be picked up, to be touched/petted. Even my ducks, who are imprinted and bonded with me do not do any of the things you are wanting... they do not walk well with a leash, and will definitely not sleep with you. they don't sleep thorugh the night and do not snuggle... They do not learn tricks and will not do your commands.

Even if your duck is imprinted and bonded to you, as an adult it will want independence... they will not want to sit by you, be picked up or petted. they will not seek your affection. The only attention they will want is for you to feed them. They will not sleep by you/ snuggle or cuddle with you.... though some of my ducks are more friendly than the others, none of them act like this.

A duck should never ever be alone, therefore getting only one duck is my opinion is very cruel. They are flock animals and need companionship all of the time. The absolute minimum for keeping a happy pets is two.

Having imprinted bonded indoor ducks is like having TWO YEAR OLD HUMAN TODDLERS WHO NEVER GORW OUT OF TERRIBLE TWOS! They get into things, make huge messes, get poop and food every where, require constant cleaning/supervision/guidence throw tanrums, eat anything on the floor that could harm them/ etc...

If you are not prepared to have two baby humans running around your house, then you are not prepared for having ducks! I promise!

At the risk of sounding mean, i give a disclaimer on my next statements....

Based on the things you've asked, which are not in duck behavoir at all, it does not seem you've done nearly enough research and are by no means ready to be a duck mommy. (sorry i don't mean to hurt feelings, i just don't want to see anyone get in over their heads and can't take care of a baby that will not find a good home)thegoosesmother.com is a great place to start but by no means has all the info you will NEED. They do NOT sell ducks. I know Nancy (the goose mother herself) and her website probably only gives you 5 % of the info you need to raise a baby duckling.

There are a ton of sites and book you will need to read to keep a duck inside. They are not like mammals at all and their feed can not be guessed.... they require very specific needs. since they are a small animal, if they are not cared for properly, they will die. Mine have gone to the vet more than three times in 6 months since they hatched...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE HEED THE FOLLOWING- I have indoor ducks so i promise i know what i am talking about.... If you are serious about keeping indoor ducks do more research! I did for more than a year before i got mine and i still had a death and didn't know nearly enough...

1.) Ducks are not dogs, and will not act like a dog at all...
    2.) You must have more than one duck or your duck will be unhappy.
    3.) Keeping an indoor duck is EXPENSIVE! Any site you read will say ducks are cheap... but that's refering to outdoor ducks... Indoor ducks have so many needs and they are expensive... I spend at least 50$ a month on food/bedding/diapers/ and other misc needs they need. I'm currently spending over a 100$ on building them a new pen.
    4.) A duck will live for 10 plus years and by getting one, you must be willing to keep it safe and happy for it'e entire life. AN INDOOR DUCK CAN NOT EVER BE LEFT ON A POND OR FARM AND EXPECTED TO LIVE. iT WILL QUICKLY SUBCOME TO THE ELEMENTS/PREDATORS. ONCE AN INDOOR DUCK, IT MUST STAY AN INDOOR DUCK UNTIL IT DIES! And finding an indoor duck a new home if you can't take care of it anymore, is 99% impossible.
    5.) If you are not mature enough/ old enough/ financially responisble enough/ etc to raise a hman baby, having an indoor duck is not for you. I have raised four ducks and all are like this... there is no magic breed or handling that will change this fact.
    6.) By taking on ducks you will forever be cursed with duck poop and mess, esp in your house. You will have to clean all of the time. I mean lots of cleaning daily including sweeping/vaccuming/ scrubbing/wiping/taking out trash... And i mean daily. You can not get behind in your chorse or you will end up elbows deep in mess and disgust... I promise!

Also, I can answer tons of questions, and direct you to websites and books, and tons of stuff you will need to know. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not rush into getting an indoor duck! any baby duckling can become a great indoor pet and there are hundreds of thousands of them hacthed every season, so the opportunity to get a duck is always there.

7. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Everytime you get the urge to have a duck....read what Nettie tells you....slowly....one more time, and again. She is sooo correct!

[​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Having imprinted bonded indoor ducks is like having TWO YEAR OLD HUMAN TODDLERS WHO NEVER GORW OUT OF TERRIBLE TWOS!

Heck yeah! LOL

Ones NOT bonded to you are like a friend's 2 year old. All the mess, but they feel no need to listen to your attempt to modify their behavior [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by