Cayuga ducklings

Bethany101

Songster
Apr 18, 2020
I hatched 4 eggs late October and I'm pretty sure all 4 are male. What do you guys think? Sorry about the pictures. I took a video but I can't upload it, so these are screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210119-165111.png
    Screenshot_20210119-165111.png
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210119-165230.png
    Screenshot_20210119-165230.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210119-165134.png
    Screenshot_20210119-165134.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210119-165111.png
    Screenshot_20210119-165111.png
    3 MB · Views: 13
It is hard to tell from the photos, their heads don't look much greener than their bodies to me, but I'm on my phone so maybe that is why. Do they quack?

@Andrea PNW what do you think?

One of them screams rather loudly but other than that they all sound the same. They're all very green

It is hard to tell from the photos, their heads don't look much greener than their bodies to me, but I'm on my phone so maybe that is why. Do they quack?

@Andrea PNW what do you think?
Oh man - I've been wrong like 5 times with Barbe and Ed until about a month and some change ago when it was finally really really obvious. I think October might honestly still be too soon to tell based on pics. Ed didn't get his boy butt curl until way late. The vocal thing is so so apparent to me now, Ed and Ruthie really do sound like they smoke a pack a day and Barbe is just loud. But even at 3mo they just hadn't grown into their voices yet. I'll give it another look.

One of them screams rather loudly but other than that they all sound the same. They're all very green
The one that is really loud is probably a girl. My cayuga girl was quite green, with a greener head, but boys have an even greener head. Sometimes it takes longer than expected for genders to become clear.

The loud one is probably a lady and if that is the case you'll need to figure out a new situation for her. I'll never ever get unsexed ducks again - I'm terrified of the gang rapey thing. Can't deal.

The loud one is probably a lady and if that is the case you'll need to figure out a new situation for her. I'll never ever get unsexed ducks again - I'm terrified of the gang rapey thing. Can't deal.

I hatched them myself from my trio and had got really lucky with my 2 batches of chicks, 13 female and 1 male. But these ducks. I have been trying to get rid of them for like 2 months now, since I realized there were at least 3 boys. At around 4 weeks it started looking like 3 boys and 1 girl, but recently I started having doubts about the 4th. I had a very strong feeling before they even hatched that it would be all boys.🤦 I'm hoping the one really is a girl, so it wasn't a total waste of my time 😂

I hatched them myself from my trio and had got really lucky with my 2 batches of chicks, 13 female and 1 male. But these ducks. I have been trying to get rid of them for like 2 months now, since I realized there were at least 3 boys. At around 4 weeks it started looking like 3 boys and 1 girl, but recently I started having doubts about the 4th. I had a very strong feeling before they even hatched that it would be all boys.🤦 I'm hoping the one really is a girl, so it wasn't a total waste of my time 😂
It's so sad isn't it? It's been quite the learning curve for me. And the drama when I read how bad it could be. I think I cried lol cuz I'm attached to ask if them!

Wow, those are really amazing odds for your first 2 batches!

You might want to give it a little more time. With the coming spring that can make it a little more obvious.

Back
Top Bottom