Cecal worms? Bile? EYP??

Jess-97

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2022
Good morning all! I'm going to try to provide as much information as possible, so I apologize for the lengthy post.
I am new to raising chickens, have had my flock for 7.5months. We got 12 hens, they have an 8x7' coop and about 500sq ft of run space (half covered). I offer fresh food and water daily and deep clean the coop 1x/month.
A few months ago my girls got tapeworms which I understand is rare, especially here in Colorado and considering their living conditions are pretty dang good. I treated right away with Safeguard goat dewormer first then after 10days did Zimecterin Gold. I religiously pick up droppings in the coop and in the run morning, afternoon and evening. We have been able to rid the tapeworms... Thank goodness. All has been well for about 2 months when randomly my Delaware (about 2.5yrs old) seemed very off this past Thursday... We have had 2 weeks of 90 degree heat, so I attributed it to that. Made sure she got extra electrolytes (which I was providing daily) and kept her in the shade and wet the run down to cool the dirt. Friday morning she was unable to use her legs and passed within a few hours after what appeared to be a seizure. Right before she passed I checked to see if she was egg bound by sticking my finger in her vent, she gasped, had what looked like a seizure, defecated (see picture 1) and passed :(

Yesterday, my EE (~1.5yrs old) seemed off, not moving much but it was able to stand and move around some. Not eating and would only drink occasionally. Today, she is still able to move around but won't eat OR drink and just stands or sits wherever I leave her. She is having very runny diarrhea with what looks like bile and similar white/yellow strings (picture 2)... Could that be worms??? I have been monitoring the flock very closely so I do know she was eating a good amount before yesterday. This morning her crop is FULL of water. I gave her miconazole this morning and have done two crop massages, but it doesn't seem to be going down. Pictures 3&4 are our EE droppings last night.

We have no vets in our area open on the weekends for me to do a necropsy on our Delaware or to run lab tests on my EE. I plan to drop samples off for a fecal float test tomorrow, but am wondering if anyone has advise for today. I should note, I do have her separated from the flock. I have Safeguard goat dewormer still on hand if those could be cecal worms. Sorry for the long post, my girls mean the world to me, so I'm trying to treat as quickly as possible!

Thank you in advance

@dawg53 @azygous @casportpony @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @speckledhen @Jess-97
PXL_20220721_143941018.jpg
PXL_20220724_153725846.jpg
PXL_20220724_000802924.jpg
PXL_20220724_114656155.jpg

Last edited:
I would suspect either an infection, likely botulism, from something they ate while free ranging. If they don't free range, then it may be my second guess - obstruction in the intestines from the dead tapeworms. The treatment for the first is an oral antibiotic. The treatment for the second is a molasses flush or Epsom salt flush.

The first flush is easiest. Just mix a teaspoon of molasses in one-fourth cup warm water for each affected chicken and have them drink it all.

If that doesn't work, I'll discuss the Epsom salt flush and how to do that.

I hope others have other possibilities.

I would suspect either an infection, likely botulism, from something they ate while free ranging. If they don't free range, then it may be my second guess - obstruction in the intestines from the dead tapeworms. The treatment for the first is an oral antibiotic. The treatment for the second is a molasses flush or Epsom salt flush.

The first flush is easiest. Just mix a teaspoon of molasses in one-fourth cup warm water for each affected chicken and have them drink it all.

If that doesn't work, I'll discuss the Epsom salt flush and how to do that.

I hope others have other possibilities.
Thank you for your response. I'll try the flush while we wait for a vet appt.

Do you see any tapeworm proglottids in the poop?

You followed up with a second deworming of the Zirmectrin Gold when you treated 2 months ago correct?

I'd work on hydration and try the flush to see if that helps.

If you do happen to lose another, then sending the body to your state lab will give you the most info.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom