Cecal Worms - treatment question

tlhedgpeth

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2020
A few days ago I noticed cecal worms in my chickens' poop. Today, after trying some natural remedies and still seeing worms, I moved on and tried some Safe Guard. I mixed 3ml in a gallon of water and gave that to them as their only water source (we have 7 chickens). I checked on them this afternoon and it looks like they have barely touched their water. My questions:

1. How do I know that they have received an adequate dosing of the dewormer
2. Is there another, perhaps more effective way, to get them to consume it

I am a chicken newbie so this is all foreign to me and a bit overwhelming.

Thanks!

First of all, that is old information regarding mixing 3ml safeguard in a gallon of water. It doesnt mix well and is ineffective treating worms.
Like you mentioned, you dont know if all your birds are going to drink it, or if they drink enough to be effective, and sick birds dont drink at all. The same is true for mixing soluble antibiotics in water.

The most effective way is to dose each bird orally using a syringe without a needle. There is no guesswork about it.

First of all, that is old information regarding mixing 3ml safeguard in a gallon of water. It doesnt mix well and is ineffective treating worms.
Like you mentioned, you dont know if all your birds are going to drink it, or if they drink enough to be effective, and sick birds dont drink at all. The same is true for mixing soluble antibiotics in water.

The most effective way is to dose each bird orally using a syringe without a needle. There is no guesswork about it.

That sounds fun lol. Any tips for that?

And also, how much safe guard do I give each chicken?

That sounds fun lol. Any tips for that?
Dosage for safeguard liquid goat wormer is .23ml per pound. Get an average weight of your birds and dose accordingly.

Have someone firmly hold the hen for you. Take your preloaded syringe in one hand, and with your free hand use your thumb and finger to pull DOWN on the wattles and her mouth will open. Quickly shoot the liquid in her mouth and immediately release her wattles so she can swallow the liquid on her own. Shoot only 1/2ml in her mouth at a time to prevent aspiration.
Once you've dosed her, release the hen to go about her business. Then get another hen and repeat dosing procedure.
It's best and easiest to worm birds before sunrise when it's still dark. Just snatch a bird off the roost and proceed to worm her. Also, the wormer is more effective before the birds have eaten in the morning. Your birds will be hungry, so will the worms...feed them the wormer, it'll kill the worms for sure.

Dosage for safeguard liquid goat wormer is .23ml per pound. Get an average weight of your birds and dose accordingly.

Have someone firmly hold the hen for you. Take your preloaded syringe in one hand, and with your free hand use your thumb and finger to pull DOWN on the wattles and her mouth will open. Quickly shoot the liquid in her mouth and immediately release her wattles so she can swallow the liquid on her own. Shoot only 1/2ml in her mouth at a time to prevent aspiration.
Once you've dosed her, release the hen to go about her business. Then get another hen and repeat dosing procedure.
It's best and easiest to worm birds before sunrise when it's still dark. Just snatch a bird off the roost and proceed to worm her. Also, the wormer is more effective before the birds have eaten in the morning. Your birds will be hungry, so will the worms...feed them the wormer, it'll kill the worms for sure.
Thank you SO much <3

Back
Top Bottom