Cedar Chips Bad?

nomoq

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Elk Grove CA
So I saw on here that cedar shavings are bad to use as bedding?
I dont know what type of shavings mine are. :eek:
The bag just says "Wood Shavings", and it doesent smell like cedar.
Should I be worried?
Jim

So, it's my understanding that it's the "off gassing" of the cedar oils that are detrimental to the bird's respiratory systems. I would think if you are not smelling anything, it's likely to be safe, but I am guessing. My bag of shavings says "pine" on it so I'm not sure what yours might be.

If your buying shavings it should say what your buying....cedar if NOT good at all.. Not to make you feel bad....but it causes lung problems and death for chicks and poultry..Make sure it says pine shavings or horse shavings which is safe for you chicks and :family: Pine is fine Cedar is NO

Are all the shavings the same color and smell? If they are and none of them smell like cedar youre probably ok.

Maybe a google search of the brand would tell you what kind of wood they use in their product?

If it was cedar you'd know...ever open up an old cedar chest or been in a dry sauna? That's the smell and that's from none cut wood. Chips are all surface side cuts of wood shaving by product. If it was cedar you'd know.

This is from the e-book on caring for your chicks on mypetchicken.com

Absorbent bedding
Baby chicks are big poopers, so make sure to line the floor of their housing unit with an absorbent material. The best, we think, is to spread pine shavings about 1" thick. Resist the urge to use newspaper! It's not nearly as absorbent and the slippery surface can lead to a permanent deformity called "splayed leg" which can ultimate result in the other chickens picking on the affected bird to death. Many people also swear by paper towels, changed often. (DON'T use cedar shavings, no matter what friends or your local feed store tell you: the aromatic oils will irritate your chicks' lungs, and make them more susceptible to respiratory problems later in life.)

Back
Top Bottom