Cedar Chips???

ihvpower

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Uxbridge MA
I am currently using the Pine shavings but my husband brought home two huge bags of Cedar.

I do know that rodents are very sensitive to the oils in Cedar and was wondering if anyone knew if it was the same for chickens???

That is what I thought. My husband didn't get it., Thank you so much! He' runs the Landscape Yard so he'll just bring them back..

Cedar is NOT toxic to birds. This was just rehashed over and over again about a week ago. Do a search on BYC and you will find plenty of discussion on it.

Bottom Line: I and many others have used it for a long time with NO ill effects and there is no documented proof that cedar is toxic or harmful to your birds.

God Bless,

I wouldn't use it if there is a question that it COULD cause problems. Why take a chance if you don't have to with so many more bedding options.

I like the wood pellets, stall dry, and aspin shavings mixed together.

Last edited:
~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Why take a chance if you don't have to with so many more bedding options.

That is actually a good question. I would say the anwer is the same as with anything else. Because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

God Bless,​

I've never had a problem with cedar - but i've also never used it in a small enclosed area. It's always been where there is good ventillation - and it's also been mixed 50/50 with pine.
Many varied opinions here regarding cedar - some have had trouble, others have not.
Do what you feel comfortable with. If you are unsure about cedar - don't use it.

Back
Top Bottom