Cedar shavings in run

noisegeyser

Songster
Mar 28, 2019
The roof of my run was destroyed Tuesday night and the rain turned the ground into a small pond. To let them out, I had to put something on the ground to help get rid of the mud and standing water. All I had on hand in the amount needed were old cedar shavings from my dad's sawmill. They're a little damp, but clean. I didn't want them walking on mud. I've heard conflicting reports on the safety of using cedar shavings, but I know that if you DO decide to use them you should make sure it's in a well ventilated area and not to use it around chicks (since they're so low to the ground).

Since it's outdoors so obviously well ventilated, and my birds are adults, do you think I can get away with using this for a little while? When the weather clears up I plan on removing them and replacing with either pine or gravel. I was hesitant to, but I had to figure out some way to get them outdoors since they didn't seem to want to eat when they were kept inside.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    741.3 KB · Views: 17
  • after.png
    after.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
When you say "old", how old? I think it will be fine, but the color of the shavings are a little dark for my liking. Which could mean more aromatic oils, which are the bad part of cedar. I still think it is fine. Do they smell super "cedary" to you?
A few months, I think. They were on the top of the pile. There is no strong smell. If it does start to affect them adversely, is there any way I can tell early on? I will be keeping a close eye on them and will remove the shavings as soon as I can.

A few months, I think. They were on the top of the pile. There is no strong smell. If it does start to affect them adversely, is there any way I can tell early on? I will be keeping a close eye on them and will remove the shavings as soon as I can.

If they are that old, I would not be worried. Early signs would just be anything respiratory/breathing related. Gasping, seeming to be having trouble breathing, walking around with their beak open all the time, becoming listless and just sitting in a corner. Etc....

All I had on hand in the amount needed were old cedar shavings from my dad's sawmill.
Ask your dad if it is aromatic cedar...not all cedar is...and even if it is, if it's outside it's probably not an issue.

Looks more like saw dust than chips or even shavings.
If your dad has a mill he may know where to get some branch chippings.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

Back
Top Bottom