Cedar Shavings - Question

Quote:
No not until it is aged and the oils have leached out. It has anti fungal and anti bacterial properties that will inhibit an organic garden.

Pile them up and let them sit some years first.. IMO

___
OK Cedar. I work with the stuff day in day out. I have mountains of cedar shavings. I use a few in the coop, but not too many, or I use them after they are aged and the "nice" cedar smell is gone. Nothing toxic about the shavings themselves, it is the aromatic oil, if it smells of strong cedar it is not healthy for animal to breath 24x7 365 days a year.

Use your nose to determine how much to use.

IMO a little cedar is just fine, aged cedar is great!

ON

Quote:
No not until it is aged and the oils have leached out. It has anti fungal and anti bacterial properties that will inhibit an organic garden.

___
OK Cedar. I work with the stuff day in day out. I have mountains of cedar shavings. I use a few in the coop, but not too many, or I use them after they are aged and the "nice" cedar smell is gone. Nothing toxic about the shavings themselves, it is the aromatic oil, if it smells of strong cedar it is not healthy for animal to breath 24x7 365 days a year.

ON

I do not know how old my Cedar Shavings are? Somebody has already opened the bag and used a little bit of them, not much though. I'll have to smell them tomorrow!
lol.png
tongue.png
cool.png

Last edited:
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:

___

ON

I do not know holw old my Cedar Shavings are? Somebody has already opened the bag and used a little bit of them, not much though. I'll have to smell them tomorrow!
lol.png
tongue.png
cool.png

In the bag they will still be quite fresh.
Dump them outside in a pile for a while..
Or mix them in with non cedar shavings
ON

Quote:
I do not know holw old my Cedar Shavings are? Somebody has already opened the bag and used a little bit of them, not much though. I'll have to smell them tomorrow!
lol.png
tongue.png
cool.png

In the bag they will still be quite fresh.
Dump them outside in a pile for a while..
Or mix them in with non cedar shavings
ON

Okay!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom