cell phone etiquette

I dont mind if i see people talking on their cell phone in public...
Thats what a cell phone is for... to get calls when you're not at home. (i.e. out in public...)

I WOULD however flip out if i was waiting in line and an employee on duty was gabbing on a phone while i waited... yup... i'd flip.
As long as folks dont hold up a line while gabbing or talk excessivly loud.. i dont care.

Quote:
Me too. It really is no different than talking to a friend who is physically with them. An employee should not be on private phone calls during business hours, except when on break; doe not matter whether it is a cell phone or landline. Sales staff should not be taking business calls when customers are present.

When I am with someone. I do not care if they check their phone to see who is calling, and is selective about the calls they take or keeps them very short. I would be annoyed at someone taking a long call that could as easily have been done at a different time.

I am a veterinary technician, and it is very annoying when I go into a room to talk with a client and they are on their cellphone- and expect me to wait while they finish their call.
I will pause for a moment to give them a chance to end the call ,but if they dont, I leave the room, and I return when I am done with whatever else I decide to do- be it another client visit, or labwork, etc. I have had people stick their head out of their room and tell me, "Im off the phone now"- okay, thats nice, I will be there when i can..

Also, the gas station across from my work- I have never seen the guy not be on his phone. He never stops talking even when he rings my order, takes my money, or gives me my change. I avoid that store unless it is really necessary because it is so rude.

Quote:
Me too. It really is no different than talking to a friend who is physically with them. An employee should not be on private phone calls during business hours, except when on break; doe not matter whether it is a cell phone or landline. Sales staff should not be taking business calls when customers are present.

When I am with someone. I do not care if they check their phone to see who is calling, and is selective about the calls they take or keeps them very short. I would be annoyed at someone taking a long call that could as easily have been done at a different time.

Some times sales people have to answer the phones or they'll get into trouble. So to me it's ok to take the call but, either put them on hold, or get a name and info and call them back or refer them to someone else.... but agree it's not polite to blow off the customer standing there.

Last edited:
Quote:

Some times sales people have to answer the phones or they'll get into trouble. So to me it's ok to take the call but, either put them on hold, or get a name and info and call them back or refer them to someone else.... but agree it's not polite to blow off the customer standing there.

Or even not blowing them off, but conducting business while you are still on the phone is just so rude.

where I work you would be fired for even having the phone out. One girl was fired cause she got her phone out to show a customer a pic of her pregnant daughter that the customer was asking about. We are not to make or recieve personal calls on work phones unless an emergency. It is very rude both ways. Dont know how many times I have had to wait for a customer to stop a conversation on their phone so I could help them, I have better things to do. Another pet peeve of mine is how people dont care. I work for Walmart I am responsible for 4 departments. They have cut back on floor staff so I have to clean stock and help customers in 4 departments. One of my jobs is straightening shelves. I can refold towels and rugs and 2 minutes later go back by and they have thrown things all over again.I wonder how long does it take to refold the towel they looked at and place it back on the pile? What does their home look like? And then the customer that leaves a carton of ice cream they decided they didnt want to melt on the towels. Dosent anyone care anymore?

Quote:
Sadly, no, a lot of people don't care anymore. Especially in public, where they don't have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Don't flush, no matter. Cut some guy off in traffic, oh well. Leave ice cream to melt on towels in a store? Who cares, they don't have to clean it up. I'm sorry, you probably see a lot of this at Wal Mart. I don't know what has happened to common courtesy, but it seems to be all but gone these days.

I'm a hairstylist and it always amazes me when my client wants to answer the phone while I'm performing a service on them, just the other day I had a client answer her phone with hair color on her hair, she then complained because she got color all over her phone....You can't fix stupid.

Back
Top Bottom