Hens disappearing, now that head rooster was sold?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, my flock has been having problems with predators lately. Rats have been chewing off limbs or head off chicks through holes in the brooder, and something has been carrying off adult hens. Also, at least once a day, a pullet would show up with a major head injury, like the scalp torn off her head, or she would have a big gash from her comb down to her eyelid (one looks like she lost eyesight in one eye). I thought it was a mink until I saw the head rooster, and the second runner up, in the act (mounting the pullet and attacking her head). Also, all the hens' pulmage looked awful; no one had any feathers on their backs, shoulders, or heads. I caged both and sold both of these roosters a few days ago (along with 30 other chickens). The coop feels less crowded, although there is still more thinning to be done. The head rooster was a large, alpha-personality French Copper Marans from Cackle. There were 4-5 other adult roosters, and they would spread out around the barn during the day and call each other constantly.

Since then, here is what has changed:
- it's been very quiet (I can have phone calls without constant crowing)
- 3 adult hens went missing ... these were active layers and foragers for two years
- no new head injuries with young pullets
- there are four adult roosters either hanging out in the coop-garage, or right in front of it, but they aren't crowing, nor fighting with each other4
- new feather quills have started growing on on the backs of all the other adult hens

Was the rooster warning the adult foraging hens against predators?
Was his sudden aggression towards the pullets due to overcrowding, or too many roosters?
Thank you,
J

Last edited:
Hi all, my flock has been having problems with predators lately. Rats have been chewing off limbs or head off chicks through holes in the brooder, and something has been carrying off adult hens. Also, at least once a day, a pullet would show up with a major head injury, like the scalp torn off her head, or she would have a big gash from her comb down to her eyelid (one looks like she lost eyesight in one eye). I thought it was a mink until I saw the head rooster, and the second runner up, in the act (mounting the pullet and attacking her head). Also, all the hens' pulmage looked awful; no one had any feathers on their backs, shoulders, or heads. I caged both and sold both of these roosters a few days ago (along with 30 other chickens). The coop feels less crowded, although there is still more thinning to be done. The head rooster was a large, alpha-personality French Copper Marans from Cackle. There were 4-5 other adult roosters, and they would spread out around the barn during the day and call each other constantly.

Since then, here is what has changed:
- it's been very quiet (I can have phone calls without constant crowing)
- 3 adult hens went missing ... these were active layers and foragers for two years
- no new head injuries with young pullets
- there are four adult roosters either hanging out in the coop-garage, or right in front of it, but they aren't crowing, nor fighting with each other4
- new feather quills have started growing on on the backs of all the other adult hens

Was the rooster warning the adult foraging hens against predators?
Was his sudden aggression towards the pullets due to overcrowding, or too many roosters?
Thank you,
J
Wow, I'd say you shouldn't have gotten rid of the rooster, the other roosters seem to have started a bachelor's flock and have no more interest in protecting or keeping track of the flock. I'm absolutely positive not only that the main roo was keeping the hens away from or earning the hens of possible danger and
that he's the reason no predators tried their luck, now that's he's gone that's absolutely what their doing (they are now testing their luck with little too no difficulty) I'd suggest picking a nicer roo from the four and separating him from them for about a month and then put him with the main flock so he'll become the new head roo of the flock. Until then you should keep the Glock completely in a enclosed run or keep an extra good eye on them all. Taking away a rooster when the flock is free range is a horrible idea as it makes the flock a thousand times weaker.

Wow, I'd say you shouldn't have gotten rid of the rooster, the other roosters seem to have started a bachelor's flock and have no more interest in protecting or keeping track of the flock. I'm absolutely positive not only that the main roo was keeping the hens away from or earning the hens of possible danger and
that he's the reason no predators tried their luck, now that's he's gone that's absolutely what their doing (they are now testing their luck with little too no difficulty) I'd suggest picking a nicer roo from the four and separating him from them for about a month and then put him with the main flock so he'll become the new head roo of the flock. Until then you should keep the Glock completely in a enclosed run or keep an extra good eye on them all. Taking away a rooster when the flock is free range is a horrible idea as it makes the flock a thousand times weaker.
Hi, thanks for your response. I feel terrible. However the head roo, and another cockerel, ware seriously wounding the young pullets. All my spare cages are full with wounded pullets.
Did this behavior start because the coop was overcrowded, or too many roosters? Would the head roo have stopped attacking if the other roosters were removed from the flock?
This head roo was very stately, with excellent situational awareness. Can you recommend a breed with these traits for a head rooster, or can it be cultivated like you said from the friendly rooster of the gang?

Hi, thanks for your response. I feel terrible. However the head roo, and another cockerel, ware seriously wounding the young pullets. All my spare cages are full with wounded pullets.
Did this behavior start because the coop was overcrowded, or too many roosters? Would the head roo have stopped attacking if the other roosters were removed from the flock?
This head roo was very stately, with excellent situational awareness. Can you recommend a breed with these traits for a head rooster, or can it be cultivated like you said from the friendly rooster of the gang?
Rule of thumb is 10 hens per rooster. How was the balance between hen and rooster?

Did this behavior start because the coop was overcrowded, or too many roosters?
More so it's too many males tho crowding can exacerbate the boy wars.

Would the head roo have stopped attacking if the other roosters were removed from the flock?
Maybe. I had a great male(Woody) that started abusing his girls once the younger males came into hormone land...he wasn't fighting the younger males. I was shocked by his behavior, so I removed him, then decided to remove the younger males put Woody back in and he shaped right back up.

I'm a little confused. How many males and how many females do you still have? How long has the head male been gone. If he was hurting the females so much, you absolutely did the right thing by removing him. Removing all the other males could have worked, potentially. Especially if you had way too many males. The 1 male to 10 females ratio is for breeding purposes, it's not something that's set in stone

It sounds like overcrowding and too much rooster competition. So how many birds, how many males and females and how old? How big is the coop/run? Do you have a secure run that the flock will fit in?

Not all roosters are good roosters. Some are better at some things and others at other things.

Send some pictures

I'm a little confused. How many males and how many females do you still have? How long has the head male been gone. If he was hurting the females so much, you absolutely did the right thing by removing him. Removing all the other males could have worked, potentially. Especially if you had way too many males. The 1 male to 10 females ratio is for breeding purposes, it's not something that's set in stone
@fluffycrow @Mrs. K Right now I believe there are around 130 total - 4 young roosters, 30+ laying hens, 40-50 juveniles (2-4 months), and 40-50 in brooders. (I purchased a lot in January thinking to generate revenue from the egg shortage, but missed several calculations like feed cost, overcrowding etc.)

More so it's too many males tho crowding can exacerbate the boy wars.

Maybe. I had a great male(Woody) that started abusing his girls once the younger males came into hormone land...he wasn't fighting the younger males. I was shocked by his behavior, so I removed him, then decided to remove the younger males put Woody back in and he shaped right back up.
I wish I had tried that. I called the buyer for this rooster but he was already gone.

Back
Top Bottom