Cement flooring in new chicken house

Kymarose

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 25, 2013
Willamette Valley in Oregon
We are in the planning stages of a new chicken/duck/goose house. Right now they are in an old (40 years old) barn that was originally constructed for a pony and a milk cow. When we moved here 8 years ago we closed in the end with fencing and hard-ward cloth to make a chicken/duck/goose house. The building is 12' x 36'. We plan to make the new house with the same dimensions, with divisions to make three rooms, each with a walk in door. DH wants to do a cement floor for easy cleaning. I know cement is not good for ducks and geese to walk on, but we would keep it covered with hay. The current structure is built right on the ground... dirt floor. We are thankful the night critters haven't busted in as the wood and tin are rotted and rusted along the ground.

So my question is.... do any of you have cement flooring? What are the pros and cons with cement over wood flooring.

My main chicken coop is in an old barn and has a cement floor, I love it. Easy to clean, nothing is digging in, and it stays dry. I use the deep litter method though with shavings, not sure if you can do that with ducks/geese. You could put sand on top of the concrete for them maybe?

My main chicken coop is in an old barn and has a cement floor, I love it. Easy to clean, nothing is digging in, and it stays dry. I use the deep litter method though with shavings, not sure if you can do that with ducks/geese. You could put sand on top of the concrete for them maybe?
Same here, but I keep my ducks on a wood floor with hardware cloth under that set on bricks. Hope this help and good luck.

Last edited:
Oh.. That's good to hear positive comments on a cement floor. DH may just win this debate.
smile.png
I use the deep litter method now using hay. It works great for all of them. Chickens, ducks and geese. Have only one pair of China geese.... they keep everybody else in line.
ya.gif
Have 5 muscovies, and 10 Runner ducks. 4 large black star hens, and who-knows how many banties. They keep multiplying, then Mr.. or Mrs. Hawk, possibly an eagle, gets some of my banties every now and then. They have over an acre to free range, and trees to hide under, but some do end up....gone.

Back
Top Bottom