Ceramic Heat Bulb Questions

Tonight I moved the 2 week old chicks outside into the small coop using the 200w ceramic heat bulb about 20” up from bedding. Going to be 35*f-40*f tonight.
I just checked on them for the night a couple minutes ago all cuddled together under the lamp and pretty quite so I think that will work just fine.

@CSAchook Have you ever noticed the bulb cool down? Or is it always constant? I went in this morning and noticed the bulb not nearly as hot as it should be. It seemed like it was warming back up after touching it. You think it’sdefective? I switched it out with a red bulb until the 2- 150w ones I ordered come in.

@CSAchook Have you ever noticed the bulb cool down? Or is it always constant? I went in this morning and noticed the bulb not nearly as hot as it should be. It seemed like it was warming back up after touching it. You think it’sdefective? I switched it out with a red bulb until the 2- 150w ones I ordered come in.
The only time I have had it cool down was if there was something wrong with the fixture or the bulb wasn’t screwed in tightly enough.

Missed this tag somehow.

Would love to see readings farther away from 'center of heat circle' than the edge of shade/reflector. Does that make sense?
I would test more @aart but I already have it in service. Housing 15 - 2 week old chicks outside in my 5x9 coop and it 35* and they are doing fine with it.
I am really liking it. I would say heat circle is about 20”

I would test more @aart but I already have it in service. Housing 15 - 2 week old chicks outside in my 5x9 coop and it 35* and they are doing fine with it.
I am really liking it. I would say heat circle is about 20”
Yeah, it's hard to measure the floor temp with chicks in the way....
...it is fun to have them chase the infrared dot tho. :gig

28* last night out in the small coop and all are great running around this morning. You know they are good when you reach your hand out and the wannabe roosters try to attack your hand.:lol:
I am really liking this ceramic heat bulb.
1D013F6B-020D-4785-9CBE-9ADDFD4E31D0.jpeg 46E35B66-7ACD-4F47-8BA8-0B3E73676499.jpeg

I have used a ceramic bulb for both quail chicks and chicken chicks. Never seem to have an issue with the 100w. I use a heat lamp socket and set it directly on the wire on top of the brooder and it seems to work, as they get old I raise it up a little at a time or move it further to the side

Back
Top Bottom