ceramic heat coils vs freezing air temps?

Ravin25

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2017
So although I know NOT heating the coop is the way to go.....the long, long, freezing winter we had last year really took its toll on our chickens (they have never been the same). Because of this I am trying to set up a system that I can activate if we get to the single digits again. I want to hang a couple ceramic heat coils with emitter shields within the coop to warm the hens if it gets super cold. These coils are specified for reptiles but I see them used for chickens also.
what i want to know is are they shatter proof if the temps get to 10 degrees or -3 degrees? Does anyone know or have any experience with this? Obviously this needs to be a safe system....I do not want to cause a fire or hurt the birds.
thanx in advance.

Where are you located? What breeds do you keep? How big is the coop? How old are your birds now?
By "never the same again" what exactly did you notice to be different?

Here in northern Colorado we regularly get down below zero. With proper ventilation a heater is a total waste.
Properly acclimated birds should handle the cold just fine. Heating prevents or at least compromises the birds acclimating. Then if the power goes out they are not prepared for the sudden cold.

If you insist on heating your coop a heating plate designed for such would be a safer option in my opinion. This link takes you to one of many such heaters.

https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Supplies/Cozy-Coop-Heater-with-mount-option-p2406.aspx

Good, and important, questions from 21HIC.

I do not think ceramic reptile heaters are meant to be used in freezing ambient temps.
I seriously doubt they could overcome the cold air and radiate any heat very far from the element.

Back
Top Bottom