Chain link run

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
I have had chickens for decades. Tried numerous runs, with less than stellar success. Racoons are my nemesis and they have out smarted us, numerous times. Opening, a self timing door - tearing holes in fences, digging... ugh!

We did a do over in July. We covered the run with chainlink fence, sides and ceiling, and hooked the fencing together with hog rings. I have buried good size rocks under the gate. I have an apron around the outside, with old posts on top of that. And I have waited to see.

The other day, I went down, and one of the posts had been moved. Sure enough, we set up cameras and traps, and caught a coon. But the coon had NOT got in and killed my birds.

You have to know your predators. People often post about hardware cloth, but I don't need that. Chain link is working well for me. We were lucky enough to get it used.

My DH did this for me, and it is one of the best gifts ever.

Mrs K

I too used chain link on my big run with an apron.

My smaller run has 2x4 welded wire and chicken wire. No breaches except a fox when I had removed a section of apron for replacement. No birds killed thank goodness.

While hardware cloth has it's uses chain link has served me well.

So glad you got your run sorted well enough to stop the raccoons. :th

People often post about hardware cloth, but I don't need that.
Where I am, chain link would never be secure enough. We have Fisher cats and weasels. A juvenile of the former and any age of the latter could easily slip through chain link. That is why I always recommend 1/2" hardware cloth.

I have had chickens for decades. Tried numerous runs, with less than stellar success. Racoons are my nemesis and they have out smarted us, numerous times. Opening, a self timing door - tearing holes in fences, digging... ugh!

We did a do over in July. We covered the run with chainlink fence, sides and ceiling, and hooked the fencing together with hog rings. I have buried good size rocks under the gate. I have an apron around the outside, with old posts on top of that. And I have waited to see.

The other day, I went down, and one of the posts had been moved. Sure enough, we set up cameras and traps, and caught a coon. But the coon had NOT got in and killed my birds.

You have to know your predators. People often post about hardware cloth, but I don't need that. Chain link is working well for me. We were lucky enough to get it used.

My DH did this for me, and it is one of the best gifts ever.

Mrs K
chainlink with a 2x4 welded wire apron (folded under concrete blocks, too lazy to bury) has held up against coons, possums, coyotes and roaming dogs here... After I covered the top with chainlink for climbing coons/possums (bonus covering top, now no hawk/owl risk) ...

Glad its working out for you 👍 if you have some pics thatd be awesome, I have a lot of used chainlink rolled up, be awesome to use it on chicken runs.
Also, what's an apron? Never heard that term before lol.. I add 2-3ft used roof tin around the botton of my runs and chicken tractors, 3ft works best for me, the coons could still reach over the 2ft pieces. The rest of run and tractors are 2x4 welded wire some of the welded wire is covered in chicken wire too. I havent had a problem since I started this method 🤞🤞 but I trap alotta coons and possums out here. Heres some of the chicken tractors I just finshed winterizing, the welded wire is under the greenhouse plastic

Attachments

• 20211106_102748.jpg
    20211106_102748.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211106_102741.jpg
    20211106_102741.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211106_105608.jpg
    20211106_105608.jpg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 7
I also have chain link, mainly because at the time my thought was if chickens don't work out, well, at least I have a nice dog run. :) I don't consider my run predator proof as smaller predators could get in, plus no solid roof. I have hardware cloth up the bottom few feet and out in an apron, so that helps with raccoons and rodents.

Also, what's an apron?
Very good example of an apron: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

For a tractor it's much harder to install one, since it would need to be hinged so it can be lifted to move the tractor, then secured back down.

Our small roofed run has hardware cloth, and then 2"x 4" woven wire on the lower 4' over the hardware cloth. We too have weasels, and had a bad rat episode when they got into the coop from underneith.
Woven wire is stronger, and more expensive, than welded wire, and we had pieces left over from our horse fencing anyway. One mile of horse fencing...
Mary

I also have chain link, mainly because at the time my thought was if chickens don't work out, well, at least I have a nice dog run. :) I don't consider my run predator proof as smaller predators could get in, plus no solid roof. I have hardware cloth up the bottom few feet and out in an apron, so that helps with raccoons and rodents.

Very good example of an apron: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

For a tractor it's much harder to install one, since it would need to be hinged so it can be lifted to move the tractor, then secured back down.
Ahh I see! I have something like this on my tractors with 2x4 welded wire and it sticks out about a foot, and it is a hassle and needs to be removed lol, but the hinged idea is reallt good, ill keep that in mind for future builds 👍

Back
Top Bottom