Chalky Egg Shell?? What is it??

Peeptastic

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I went out this morning to collect our eggs and there were two in the bottom of the house. It is not abnormal for our EE to push some eggs out of "her" box. However, this morning the BC Maran's egg was covered in a white, chalky film everywhere but where it was actually touching the shavings on the floor. It did not wash off. The egg was fairly cold, but not frozen b/c temps here did not go below 40 degrees this morning. See the picture below. Any ideas on what this is?

Hmmm. She was acting funny yesterday. She did not lay but sat multiple times. They have plenty of nests, but all choose to wait in the traffic jam for the "good" box. Maybe she got stressed from waiting and laid in the house and her egg didn't get pushed out. I am leaning towards the calcium coated. They free range all day so not sure where the extra calcium would come from. I will just have to watch her for a few days. Do you think the egg is still edible?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Yeah it is pretty light. Her eggs have been getting lighter, but this one is particularly pale. I recently changed their food and I don't think it was a good choice...back to the old stand by. She is a blue copper Maran so her eggs aren't as dark as the black copper ones.

Yeah it is pretty light. Her eggs have been getting lighter, but this one is particularly pale. I recently changed their food and I don't think it was a good choice...back to the old stand by. She is a blue copper Maran so her eggs aren't as dark as the black copper ones.
Curious as to how old she is and how long has she been laying?

Also the calcium deposit doesn't necessarily mean she eating/getting more calcium than before, just that the egg hit a slow down/pause in the chute and got coated with more.

She began laying on Jan. 25th of this year, so she is still a newbie. She was almost 20 weeks old when she laid for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom