Green in yolk - hen is lethargic

CoralHouseCoop

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2023
My Easter Egger (almost 18 mos) Harriet has been struggling in the FL heat. Since about June she's been laying shell-less eggs.

To help her we've been giving her electrolytes about daily and calcium + Vitamin D supplements (in water) every three days. She did produce an egg with a shell a little over a week ago.

She also began molting last Monday.

When she's about to lay a "rubber" egg she gets lethargic and doesn't quite seem herself. She seeks out a lot of water, which is when I encourage her to drink the electrolytes. Then usually after she lays the egg she "bounces back."

This morning she didn't quite seem herself - lethargic, not quite aware of her surroundings, sort of like she is when she's about to lay a rubber egg. She was not following me around while I cleaned the coop, nor was she interested in a snack of mealworms (and she LOVES mealworms).

When I checked the coop, I saw that she had laid an egg without a shell or membrane. There were long lines of green in the egg substance. There was also a smaller version in the run itself. I've attached pictures.

I'm trying to locate a vet in our area. I currently have her inside in a cage with electrolytes available. She's resting standing up. Any help or advice you can offer would be so helpful. She's my favorite hen, and we lost one of her sisters in June.

Our other hen Alice has been laying regularly. Her shells have been thinner, but I understand that is typical of the summer.

Alice (the healthy one) did also eat some of the yolk this morning before I had a chance to see it had the green in it. Will she be okay?

She currently eats layer feed. She has access to fresh water 24/7. They also have oyster shell available to them, but she doesn't seem to be interested. I give them a small amount of watermelon and frozen berries to try to keep them cool. They eat mealworms. They have limited free range - when I'm outside with them. We have a small A/C unit in the coop that generally keeps the area about 5 degrees cooler than outside. We also have a big factory-type fan for when they are outside. She's one of two EEs in the flock. We just got three chick EEs, but they are inside in a separate brooder, and I wash my hands thoroughly before going between the flocks.

Attachments

• Egg in coop.jpg
    Egg in coop.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Egg in run.jpg
    Egg in run.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Shells shouldn't be soft or thin no matter what time of the year. I would buy some oyster shell and put some in a dish or pan. If they need it, they'll eat it. You can get that oyster shell in like a 5 lb bag at TSC or any farm store. This should help improve her health as it's hard on her to keep laying those types of eggs.

You might also want to try giving them some vitamins like nutra drench or poultry cell in their water. We do it a couple times a week for no other reason than we have silkies who can become vitamin deficient easily.

Since about June she's been laying shell-less eggs.

To help her we've been giving her electrolytes about daily and calcium + Vitamin D supplements (in water) every three days.

When she's about to lay a "rubber" egg she gets lethargic and doesn't quite seem herself. She seeks out a lot of water,

When I checked the coop, I saw that she had laid an egg without a shell or membrane. There were long lines of green in the egg substance. There was also a smaller version in the run itself. I've attached pictures.
Welcome To BYC

I would direct dose her with the Calcium.
You can find 600mg Calcium Citrate with D3 at Walmart, CVS, etc. Just pop the pill directly into her beak and let her swallow. Do this for a week and see if she improves.

Have you ever dewormed your hens?

Having chronic troubles with soft shelled eggs, she may have a reproductive disorder, but hard to know. Look her over for lice/mites and see that her crop is emptying overnight.

If she still hasn't come around after you give the Calcium, then you may want to consider giving an antibiotic to see if that helps.

The green poop can be from not eating well, moldy feed or infection.

Back
Top Bottom