Change of plans

Pics
Soooo, I got the itch yesterday and have been trying to figure out what kind of chicks I'll be getting from Meyers. They have everything I want, but I'm trying not to go ham and order too many, lol. I currently have 5 and have room for 15(that's sticking to the minimum requirements for the coop, but always like to give them more space) so I'm gonna try and stay around 4 or 5 littles. Now I just have to decide which breeds I want.

Ameraucana
Golden Cuckoo Maran
Buff Brahma
Easter Egger
Green Queen
Bielefelder
Barnvelder

What do ya'll think?

I currently have WTB, OE, Light Brahma, Welsummer, Blue Orp

Edited to say:
I will be picking up the stuff next week to start putting together the in-coop brooder, and am looking to get the chicks in March

Soooo, I got the itch yesterday and have been trying to figure out what kind of chicks I'll be getting from Meyers. They have everything I want, but I'm trying not to go ham and order too many, lol. I currently have 5 and have room for 15(that's sticking to the minimum requirements for the coop, but always like to give them more space) so I'm gonna try and stay around 4 or 5 littles. Now I just have to decide which breeds I want.
4-5 is a good number to add in with 5 current chickens. Any combo of the above should work out fine for your flock (tho not familiar with a Green Queen but I assume it's a sexlink or production hybrid?)

I have black Barnevelder on my want list for next time, I love the brown arrow patterning on the black feathers.

(tho not familiar with a Green Queen but I assume it's a sexlink or production hybrid?)

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/Green-Queen-Day-Old-Chicks-p212562069
They're supposed to lay green eggs, at least mostly.

Selected quotes from the hatchery description:
"They will come in a wide range of colors, most are bearded, some will have feathered legs, and some even have 5 toes!"
"Please note, like other eggers, you can also get a range in the colors of eggs. Green Queens predominantly lay green eggs, ranging from sage to aqua, but some may lay tinted, brown, or even pink. Eggs could even be speckled."

4-5 is a good number to add in with 5 current chickens. Any combo of the above should work out fine for your flock (tho not familiar with a Green Queen but I assume it's a sexlink or production hybrid?)

I have black Barnevelder on my want list for next time, I love the brown arrow patterning on the black feathers.
yep, the barnvelders are super pretty! The green queen is just an olive egger, they look very similar to most EE's (muffs, beards...mostly)

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/Green-Queen-Day-Old-Chicks-p212562069
They're supposed to lay green eggs, at least mostly.

Selected quotes from the hatchery description:
"They will come in a wide range of colors, most are bearded, some will have feathered legs, and some even have 5 toes!"
"Please note, like other eggers, you can also get a range in the colors of eggs. Green Queens predominantly lay green eggs, ranging from sage to aqua, but some may lay tinted, brown, or even pink. Eggs could even be speckled."
I love the OE I have, and her eggs are beautiful, and the thought of a mystery color egg is just exciting, lol, which is why I'm thinking of adding a green queen

Well I've decided and the order is in...
1 bbs ameraucana
1 golden cuckoo marans
1 green queen
1 Meyer meal maker

February 14th is hatch day, I'm extra excited because this will be my first time with actual baby chicks, I've always purchased 4-6 week olds.

I'll post pics when I start the coop/brooder conversion :D

Started making renovations, hung the nest boxes on the wall and I'm loving it, and so are the ladies😁Had to shorten them by 1 1/4 inches but no biggie, and it really opens up the floor space!

P.S.
Maribel was griping the whole time because she really needed to lay an egg🤣

Attachments

• 20220108_144221.jpg
    20220108_144221.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220108_151702.jpg
    20220108_151702.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220108_151719.jpg
    20220108_151719.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 4
Well...my hubby had a conniption fit the other day and said he wants the backyard perfect this spring and no more chickens in the yard(only maybe sometimes🤷) so we will be fencing off the 34x29 ft area next to the run as the chicken "yard". It'll be fairly easy as we just need to put in 2 posts for a gate and fence straight across and up. I just have a feeling this may derail the plans for enclosing the run, but we shall see😁 This is the area

Attachments

• 20220112_163247.jpg
    20220112_163247.jpg
    933.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom