Change of plans

Pics
Found this slithering through the yard last weekend...not my ladies buddy

Attachments

• 20220501_110935.jpg
    20220501_110935.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Wow! Very nice setup. Agreed that all that beautiful grass won't last very long with your chickens. Do you have a plan for the next step?

Was this a metal shed to chicken coop conversion? Whatever you did, I like it.

Love the log in the chicken run. Do your birds use it very much? I've been thinking about something like that for my run.

Edit: Sorry, I did not see the original posting date. Was so excited about the pictures that I failed to realize this thread has been going on for a long time with many pages of comments. It just popped up on my screen for the first time and I thought it was a new thread.

Last edited:
Wow! Very nice setup. Agreed that all that beautiful grass won't last very long with your chickens. Do you have a plan for the next step?

Was this a metal shed to chicken coop conversion? Whatever you did, I like it.

Love the log in the chicken run. Do your birds use it very much? I've been thinking about something like that for my run.

Edit: Sorry, I did not see the original posting date. Was so excited about the pictures that I failed to realize this thread has been going on for a long time with many pages of comments. It just popped up on my screen for the first time and I thought it was a new thread.
Thank you very much! I got all the metal from my work, they had to repair a building and it was all left over so they gave it to me for free and we built the coop around how much metal we had so we didn't have to buy anymore. Many things have changed since this, new piece of property, great new setup, and just recently integrated some new birds☺

Thank you very much! I got all the metal from my work, they had to repair a building and it was all left over so they gave it to me for free and we built the coop around how much metal we had so we didn't have to buy anymore.

Well, you certainly did a fantastic job on that coop. Very nice. And free?!! :bow

Well, you certainly did a fantastic job on that coop. Very nice. And free?!! :bow
A lot was free, but we did spend about $700 on lumber and screws, then of course I had to have an auto door $, then a solar powered exhaust fan $$, then the chicken yard$, but realistically for the amount of joy my ladies (and 1 young gentleman now) bring me, it was well worth it! The money I get from the eggs I sell pays for their food, shavings, oyster shell, and what not, so they earn their keep, but I'm pretty sure they'll be in debt for life as far as their digs go🤣 I appreciate you checking out my thread, I love seeing other folks stuff and how they manage their flock, gives me ideas and insight☺

A lot was free, but we did spend about $700 on lumber and screws, then of course I had to have an auto door $, then a solar powered exhaust fan $$, then the chicken yard$, but realistically for the amount of joy my ladies (and 1 young gentleman now) bring me, it was well worth it!

When I built my chicken coop, I used lots of leftover and scrap lumber I had remaining from previous projects. I still ending up spending about $700.00 out of pocket, but my coop build would have been close to $2,000.00 if I had to buy everything new.

The money I get from the eggs I sell pays for their food, shavings, oyster shell, and what not, so they earn their keep, but I'm pretty sure they'll be in debt for life as far as their digs go🤣

Yep, we sell our excess eggs and that is enough to pay for their feed, etc... So, my chickens earn their keep. However, one of the main reasons I got chickens was to make compost for my gardens. Eggs are just a bonus. My composting chickens have made $100's worth of compost that I am using in my gardens to grow people food.

Until recently, eggs cost less than $1 per dozen where I live. A bag of quality compost costs $5. So, my chickens are much more valuable, to me, making compost than eggs. Go figure. But if I count in all the savings from the compost they make, then my chickens project was out of debt sometime last year.

I tell everyone that there are many reasons to have a backyard flock, but first and foremost, I think you just have to enjoy raising chickens because it's usually cheaper to buy eggs as needed from the big box store.

Not sure what these 2 were doing, but Freya has been obsessed with the nest boxes. She's barely starting to redden up in the comb. That's her fluffy ass and Lilly right there with her

Attachments

• 20220515_112335.jpg
    20220515_112335.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 3
Well, we've got some rain in the forecast starting Saturday, so I'm going to sow a seed mix in the chicken yard and keep the ladies locked out for the next 10 days. I'm excited for the new variety they'll have! I'll post a list after I get home and sweat to death mowing (should have made the gate big enough for the zero turn :lau )

Back
Top Bottom