Change of plans

Pics
Here's the list of everything in the mix, I'll also be adding some alfalfa seed and spring wheat to the mix;
32% Lolium species from Oregon
31% tall fescue
9% red clover
9% alice white clover
4% fine fescue
3% california clover
3% kentucky bluegrass
.5% arrowleaf clover
1% other crop seed

You are both ahead of me! I just seeded my tomatoes and peppers this week, and none have popped up yet! Zone 5…if I start too early they just get too huge for the house. Usually don’t go outside until mid to late May.

Just reading through and catching up. In all the years in Central Texas when I grew tomatoes, I tried to have them in the ground by the end of February or mid-March. They might have to be protected for a frost or two, but the growing season is so short because of the heat. I tried to grow mostly open-pollinated varieties, or "old" hybrids like "Jet Star" or "Big Beef" that would ripen in 65-70 days. Some years it worked out, others not so much. I had pretty good luck with Season Starters/Walls O Water to avoid frosts. Usually all the tomatoes were pretty well burned up by the end of June. Sometime I would replant in July to get a second crop in late September & early October. It would be nice to have a summer where the entire months of July and August are actually productive!

@lluveggers we cut the bottom wire off the fence the looped every piece around the top wire of the bottom fence. And here is a pic of nosey Freya, just look at those poofy cheeks 😍

That is a pretty well-thought-out methodology! I love how neat and finished the wire wraps are on every strand.

I didn't do a garden last year to much because we were busy prepping the new property and moving and what not, but the year before my garden lasted until September when I ripped it out to start some fall produce (everything except the cucumbers😉) but it was shaded for half the day. This year at the new property I put the garden in a place where a tree shades it the ladder part of the day. We'll see how it works out🤞

Usually all the tomatoes were pretty well burned up by the end of June. Sometime I would replant in July to get a second crop in late September & early October. It would be nice to have a summer where the entire months of July and August are actually productive!
And up north I am jealous that you get tomatoes so early instead of having to wait until June/July! Usually no fresh produce here in April or may except asparagus and some greens!

Freya sure is getting mouthy, lol

Attachments

• 20220522_111337(0).jpg
    20220522_111337(0).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220522_111410.jpg
    20220522_111410.jpg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220522_111432.jpg
    20220522_111432.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 4

Back