Changing The Law

First To Hatch

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
New York
So I couldn't find my ordinance so I had a friend look it up for me, she works in keeping old houses up and not having anyone tear them down so she knows alot of politions, well I found the ordinance as well, I'm outside of city limits, the ordinance said for those in acticultural(sp?) zoning any stable, barn or any housing of swine, cattle, or fowl must be on of atleast 2 acres of land and 100 feet away from all property lines, well I think I'm zoned residental, I have my quail very unnoticed. But I have that friend who said she'd talk to her lawyer attorney, and she said he'll prolly take it because he likes those against-all-odd things I guess, so I was wondering is there any tips or ideas anyone has?

I was thinking, no roosters, 30-40 feet away from all property lines, must have 1 acre propert atleast, and if a neighbor complains an animal control officer must come and inspect the area where they live and if their is good enough reason they must be gone (my friend said that I know you keep up with animals, but other dont so you must make a good enough rule). And maybe the maximum of 5-10 hens, and also thought about trying to make one for pigeons like maximum of five pairs? (I don't they'd be a bother but if someone complains about my chickens then sees pigeons there).

Anyone have any better ideas helpful hints or tips?

I have close to 2 acres, a nice unfenced big backyard.....our left neighbors wont notice anything to much brush but the ones on the right and on the side will.

I live in a town that sounds very much like yours, and the chicken keeping zoning is very similiar to what you'd like to do. Our ordnance may help you craft one for you town::

Regulations for the Control of Animals in the Town of Westwood]

See these subsections in particular:

1.2 - Animal Units
3.5 - Restrictions for Roosters. Roosters need to 1,000 feet from property lines
3.6 - Restrictions as to how many animls units you can have have based on property size. (1 horse = 1 Animal Unit. 10 chickens = 1 Animal Unit. On lots less than 40,000 sq feet (1 acre) you can have 1 Animal Unit.)

Section 5 is all about fowl, and see these subsections in particular:
5.1 - Lcoation of coops to property line (only 15 feet in my town)
5.5 - Maintainence of coop facilities
5.4 - Noise and nuisance control.

I think my town has a very good - and very fair - chicken keeping regulation.

Hope that helps!
smile.png

~Phyllis

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom